Downgrade yosemite to mavericks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We need a lot more detail. What machine do you have? What are the specs? Most importantly though, did the machine ever had Mavericks on it?

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but I too am wondering the same thing. I haven't installed Yosemite yet, but if it fails or I simply hate it, how do I switch back to Mavericks? I have a 2013 iMac 27" i7 3TB fusion drive. I use carbon copy clone and have a clone of mavericks which I can boot from. I have 24GB of ram. I'm doing doing anything special, such as running boot camp or parallels, just the iMac.

Also, is it better to do a clean install or an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
if it fails or I simply hate it, how do I switch back to Mavericks?
I had to do this and I was surprised at HOW EASY it was. You must have a current Time Machine backup BEFORE trying the upgrade.
Then, if you need to go back to Mavericks, you start in Recovery Mode, and select the first menu choice "Recover from Time Machine." You then select which date to recover to, and it does all the work for you!

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

(I had to revert because I use my Mac via VNC remotely only - Yosemite had "graphics" problems with that.)

OP
R
Reaction score
it came preinstalled with mavericks os x and then upgraded to Yosemite. no backup for mavericks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your iMac came pre-installed with Mavericks and you upgraded to Yosemite, you'll need to do an Internet Recovery in order to go back to Mavericks. Make a backup of all your data first and then erase Yosemite using your recovery partition utilities. Afterward you can proceed with an Internet Recovery per the Apple instructions above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.