Downgrade from Yosemite to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I upgraded to Yosemite from Snow Leopard on 20th October, but I don't like the new interface at all. Basically I want to go back to SL.
I thought that I could do this easily via Time Machine. The last backup I made was before upgrading, and expected to be able to use this. However, the only option I have is to use a 'full' backup I made in January - useless because of all the files etc I have since then.
So, if I do a clean install using the SL installation disc, will I then be able to access Time Machine and restore all the files and folders that were backed up on the 20th October? Or is there an easier option which doesn't necessitate doing a clean install?
Thanks in advance...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, if I do a clean install using the SL installation disc, will I then be able to access Time Machine and restore all the files and folders that were backed up on the 20th October? Or is there an easier option which doesn't necessitate doing a clean install?

Yes, that the best way. Time Machine backups are not bootable which is why you can not easily return to Snow Leopard. If you had used cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper you would have been able to restore back very quickly without having to do a clean install. After reinstalling Snow Leopard from disk, use your latest Time Machine backup prior to installing Yosemite and that will take you back to where you were.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Yes, that the best way. Time Machine backups are not bootable which is why you can not easily return to Snow Leopard. If you had used cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper you would have been able to restore back very quickly without having to do a clean install. After reinstalling Snow Leopard from disk, use your latest Time Machine backup prior to installing Yosemite and that will take you back to where you were.

Having taken your advice and installed CCC is it only necessary to do CCC backups before an update and, if it's successful, immediately after it? I already use TM.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I do is use CCC immediately before doing any major update that could possibly cause problems with the system. OS X updates, my business software updates, etc, are those which if went wrong, could cause problems. I then set that CCC backup aside, and use another external hard drive to make a new CCC backup of the updated system or software after it's been running for a day or so. I keep 5 external hard drives on my desk along with my iMac and each is used for a different purpose. I guess you could say I'm a bit paranoid about making backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.