Double itunes libraries? Confused

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm in need of help - I need to know how easiest to create two separate itunes libraries.

I have about 90GB of music in lossless format (ALAC) in my itunes library - I play it over a decent stereo system so I like to have it lossless) and an 8GB iPod Touch - this creates a problem in that I can't fit very much music into the 6.8GB the iPod actually allocates to music (why is this? Wouldn't it be better if slightly more expensive if they made the hard drive 9 gigs or something so it could actually hold 8 gigs of music?).

I'm wanting to create a second, separate iTunes library in which to hold all my music in AAC, preferably without destroying my current music collection. Is there an easy way to do this? (my computer-savviness rating: capable of pressing the 'ON' button)

Much appreciated,

Ross

C

chas_m

Holding down the option key while launching iTunes gives you an opportunity to create -- or open -- alternate iTunes libraries.

Create a blank one, export your AAC (or ALAC) tunes, import them into the new one, delete them off the old one. Once you've "chosen" a library, you'll need to hold the option key down while launching again to change libraries.

Hope that helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.