Dont click on this Ad on speedtest.net !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I was shocked today when i went to speedtest.net and this add popped up.I didnt even think about the robotman thing and clicked it to see what speedtest had in the pipeline, not thinking it was a add, but i just though i would post as a warning, if anything for the newer members that could get sucked in because it is on well known site used by millions . .

BEWARE !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
MacKeeper is starting to appear everywhere.
It's no wonder so many people are being sucked in.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They've been advertising at speedtest here in the U.S. almost since they hit the market.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
They've been advertising at speedtest here in the U.S. almost since they hit the market.

Its the first time i have noticed it here, then again i could not have been paying too much attention. Makes me wonder though . . . . Hmmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for the warning, TM.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wanted to bring this to the attention of others and to the lengths that MacKeeper is going o try and lure people in. OR is MacKeeper actually getting real and a better application.
I found this, via a email from MacPhun the Developers of Apps like ColorStrokes, SnapHeal and FX PhotoStudio Pro, that i use to edit, Heal, bring back the colour of a image that is in B&W and they have some nice filters and their Apps work well. But the email said they support MacKeeper and are giving MacPhun App people 50% off MacKeeper lite.

I followed just to have a look and look what i found. They say they have the backing of Apple Cerfitied Professional's LINK.

WT? Is going on here. They seem to goto some lengths, and i just sent a scathing email to the MacPhun team, telling them they have just lost a customer lol
I have their Apps on my Mac, iPhone and iPad Mini and all through Specials, of promotions they have done. Ive spent probably $3 on all their apps and i have 9 of them, but I'm disappointed in them :(

Cheers

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I got the same ad and clicked the link to check out the deal before realizing what it was for. At least I didn't download/install the darned thing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Notice they're all Russian and more than likely got their certification while they were working for Zeobit.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notice they're all Russian and more than likely got their certification while they were working for Zeobit.

I didn't even notice that, but i just did a test, and i have Ultimate Status Bar ext installed and it showed a dodgy URL so i was game and clicked it and took me to LINK Massively long dingy link, and a poorly designed Apple page, and in the URL bar beside the http icon where you usually see the company Logo it looks like a StacksOverflow thingy, BUT you click on any of the Apple buttons and they take you to apple.com ?? They are getting game in there use of Apple inc in their promotions

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just wanted to bring this to the attention of others and to the lengths that MacKeeper is going o try and lure people in. OR is MacKeeper actually getting real and a better application.
I've got a blog article (that has been neglected a bit but I want to push it out soon) in which I investigate MK. In all honesty, from a technical perspective, it's not all that different from any other maintenance tool.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hate to say this folks..... But I have to echo the words of Vansmith. I put MacKeeper through many tests as part of the blog article that Van is going to write and it in fact does act like most other utilities that purport to do the same thing.

I believe the problem with MacKeeper occurs when novice users allow the utility (there are actually many utilities included with the application) to do unnecessary things like "cleaning and removing".

Anyway, wait to see what Van writes about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Been on the Speedtest site for yonks mate.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got a blog article (that has been neglected a bit but I want to push it out soon) in which I investigate MK. In all honesty, from a technical perspective, it's not all that different from any other maintenance tool.

I hate to say this folks..... But I have to echo the words of Vansmith. I put MacKeeper through many tests as part of the blog article that Van is going to write and it in fact does act like most other utilities that purport to do the same thing.

OR is MacKeeper actually getting real and a better application.

Ahh OK so it is a legitimate Application then ?? Or has it just become a legitimate Application recently?? Going back to when you couldn't get rid of it completely off your system.
@Professor and Charlie, what was it that made you want to go and try MK out on your machine ?? Was there a turn somewhere that came out that set something off in you both, that made you think, Hmmmm
EnS0U6D.jpg
this just might be a great Application . . . . ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We really needed to evaluate it for ourselves in order to make sure the advice we were giving regarding MacKeeper was not skewed by all the bad press it gets.

What I did was use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of my hard drive (Mountain Lion) to a spare external hard drive and then booted from that drive. I downloaded MacKeeper to the cloned drive and ran tests. The copy I downloaded was a fully functional trial copy.

By the way, I'm still receiving ads from them to buy it. I was even offered a 75% discount on their "Pro" version just several days ago. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
@Professor and Charlie, what was it that made you want to go and try MK out on your machine ?? Was there a turn somewhere that came out that set something off in you both, that made you think, Hmmmm
We really needed to evaluate it for ourselves in order to make sure the advice we were giving regarding MacKeeper was not skewed by all the bad press it gets.
chscag hit the nail on the head - we did the tests to investigate something that we (rather uniformly) discredit. I wanted to go through the application myself to see if such claims were warranted. On the whole, it's not bad technically (it certainly isn't perfect though) but could use some "cleaning up" in the marketing department.

I'm busy until Monday night but I'm going to try and push it out early next week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.