Does the Powerbook have a built-in microphone?

N

Nightblade

I'm just curious. I mean, I've seen at least Powerbook before in my lifetime (in real life, I mean) but I didn't bother to look if it had a microphone or not. When I look at them on Apple's website, however, they don't appear to have them. If I'm right and Powerbooks really don't have microphones...Well, that kinda sucks, doesn't it? I mean, you're paying more for it than an iBook, so it should have everything the iBook has plus more. Yes, the Powerbook is lighter, has a better keyboard, can have better speakers, can have a Superdrive, can have bigger screens, can have more Mhz and a few other things as well, but if the iBook and iMac have microphones, shouldn't the Powerbook have them as well? Or do they have microphones and I just can't see them on Apple's website? Can someone verify this for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
AFAIK All Macs have a mic -Actually, I know Powerbooks have mic, I talk to a friend on his in iChat AV ;)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
PowerBook, iBook, iMac, and eMac's have built in mic's. The PowerMac does not. The iSight has a built in mic, too.

OP
N

Nightblade

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

Hmm, in all of these pics, I can't seem to find a microphone. I mean, on my father's G3 iBook, the microphone is a small circular hole on the right side of the monitor, and I can't seem to find it on the monitor on the Powerbook (unless it's that horizontal rectangular hole at the top, but I doubt it since on my father's iBook it's a hole to allow the hook to close the iBook when it's closed). So, I'm just curious, but where exactly is the microphone on the Powerbook?

OP
K

klumick

from what ive been able to find out the microphone on my 15" powerbook is located right next to the option key on the keyboard, it is invisible, but when i tap the laptop when system preferences is open and i go to line in, thats where the strongest sound comes from

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Taken with iSight.

It is located on the top right, above the f1 key.

mic.jpg

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i have the powerbook 17" and the microphones is located on the left hand side of the keyboard under the grate for the speaker. i only know this because with gentil taps on the case i have the most feedback come from that area.
its awesome to record inclass lectures with, convert them to mp3's then load them onto the ipod for easy studyin :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have the old 15" (titanium) and it is on the left side in the speaker grille. you can tell when you have the input monitor and you tap the keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the 12" and it's located in that picture... it's visible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.