Does Reinstalling OS & Bootcamp Partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 INtel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB, 24" screen
Does reinstalling OS X (erase and reinstall) affect what exists partitioned in Bootcamp? I have Fusionware PC partition that I hope remains intact after reinstalling clean over the Mac HD portion of the drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whatever is installed as a virtual machine in Fusion will be erased along with all your other data. If you have a separate Partition created with Boot Camp, that will remain intact as long as you don't erase the entire drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't follow that... Will my PC portion of the Mac remain intact? I assume I'll have to reinstall FUSION to assess it from the Mac side, but want everything in the PC side to be intact. I'm only erasing the Mac-side HD. Please clarify if you someone else can...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't follow that... Will my PC portion of the Mac remain intact? I assume I'll have to reinstall FUSION to assess it from the Mac side, but want everything in the PC side to be intact. I'm only erasing the Mac-side HD. Please clarify if you someone else can...

If you have a separate Partition created with Boot Camp, that will remain intact as long as you don't erase the entire drive.

As I said above. Assuming you mean by "PC side" that you created a separate partition using Boot Camp it will remain as long as you don't erase the entire drive. If you wipe the Mac side of your drive, Fusion will be gone and any virtual machines including Windows that were created with it will likewise be gone.

Also, why do you want to reinstall OS X?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm getting an "Incorrect number of thread records" report running DU that it says it can't fix.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That error may indicate a hardware problem with the drive, which might mean a complete erase and reinstall or even replacing the drive.

My advice is before starting to do anything that you backup all your data and also backup your Windows partition.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I back up the Windows partition?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have a link for downloading Winclone (Leopard)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the LINK to download WinClone. A word of caution: WinClone is no longer being developed and does not work well with FAT-32 drives and partitions. It does, however, work fairly well with NTFS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.