Does putting the computer to sleep park the hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 120 GB, 2 GB RAM, Superdrive
I've been told that if I'm going to carry my MacBook around in a bag or anything, I should shut it down rather than put it to sleep, because the hard drive does not park in sleep. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

OP
jerbils
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 120 GB, 2 GB RAM, Superdrive
While that was informative, it didn't really answer my question. I wanted to know if it's safe to carry around a sleeping MacBook (from class to class, for example), or if it's better to turn it off entirely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
I'm pretty sure putting a Macbook to sleep parks the hard drive but I would be safe and always shut it off completely when your going to be moving it around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
Don't think i've turned my iBook off since buying it. I carry it round all day, every day. Never had a problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25801

What happens when the computer goes to sleep (not just into idle mode or display sleep)?

On all computers:
- The microprocessor goes into a low-power mode
- Video output is turned off, and the connected display may turn off as well, or enter its own idle state
- Apple-supplied hard disks spin down
- Third-party hard disks may spin down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
It is safer to shut it down. It only takes a few second to turn it on anyway.

Reaction score
yeah. my previews laptop was so slow when booting. i always hibernate the thing. now i have mac, its fast to turn it on. it boots fast. so i dont bother turning it off then on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I concur with visualpurple, I have had my macbook since August 2006 and she (that's right, she) has come with me to every class sleeping. No problems yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Another vote for putting it to sleep. Been doing it since last December and it still works like a charm.

Plus, it's far more useful when you can just open the lid and start working rather than having to boot up the computer if I just want to use it real quick. Also, it makes all the Windows laptop user jealous because they have to shut down :black:

Reaction score
I can't think of a good reason to shut it down. The hard drive is the only moving part and it stops spinning in sleep mode. I wait for the white LED to start pulsing. Then I put it in the case and I'm on my way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Reaction score
Hmm, sometimes I like to watch anime on my Macbook and I end up falling asleep with the screen up. I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be future problems, but just to be on the safe side does anyone have any other opinions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.