does iMac have notebook componets or normal computer components?

Reaction score
Hi.

I was wondering about the thinness of the iMAC, and it occured to me: it has to be using notebook components (logic board, ram, hdd, graphics card etc.) because otherwise how could they fit all of them inside and what about heating issues?

Am i right?

Reaction score
indeed. I'm not sure its completely notebook based but a lot of it is for sure - the graphics card for instance is definately not a standard type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Surely it gets thinner!
When I bought my mac the salesman mentioned that the memory was "notebook type" whatever that means.
By the way what a waste of an i-mac. Those japanese have no respect for beautiful things.

Reaction score
HDD is def desktop standard as is the screen. RAM is standard between both really, processor is a core 2 duo - just the graphics card which I think is also desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Who says computers have to be square-ish? All you have to do is lay the components differently while maintaining a decent airflow.
If you look inside of most squarish computer cases, do you know what takes up most of the volume? Air. Consider that if you constrict a passage, the fluid going through it must move faster (it's a physical law). So as long as the pump can push the fluid at the same pressure, you get more flow as space decreases. Which would be a problem if you have to make smaller fans to fit in the smaller area.
But hey, I'm not an engineer.

BTW,
Compare the above link to this one:
http://www.kodawarisan.com/macbook/macbook003.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
the processors are the laptop variety, merom i think. the desktop ones are called Conroe.

i believe the HD is a standard 3.5" at 7200rpm rather than a laptop 2.5" at 5200rpm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Looking at the images of the iMac in pieces, I didn't realise that the hard drive was in the middle. If anywhere I would have said it was at the bottom behind the white panel with the Apple logo on.

It's all very cleverly assembled, and desktop or notebook components. I love my iMac all the same :mac:

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.