Does Apple clearance current laptops when they announce a refresh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I recently bought a 2013 refurb from Apple's site a couple weeks ago. And now the news is that they might roll out a refresh on Monday, but my last day of my return period is tomorrow.

I was thinking that if Apple announces the refresh on Monday they might put the 2014 line on clearance sale at the same time. Anyone know if Apple has historically done this? I haven't been able to find anything online.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I doubt it….or at least not something Apple does on a predictable basis. Usually the best you can do (as you did)…is purchase a refurbished unit.:)

Apple products sell well on their own…so there's really not a "driving force" to discount more than the refurbished price.

If you're REALLY concerned. Return your unit…and see what happens.

And of course the other part to think about is. Even if your computer did go on clearance…how much additional are you going to save? I don't know for sure…but maybe $100. May or may not be worth it.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually…most of the time I've checked the Apple clearance area…I've not seen computers. Just a bunch of other stuff that folks usually don't buy (which is why Apple is trying to get rid of it).

So I was a little surprised to see a single MacBook Pro model there when I checked today. Who knows. There may only be one actual unit. Once it's sold…it will disappear.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Since Apple is in full charge of the product line, from top to bottom, they do a pretty good job of managing end of generation production. Usually, the older Macs begin to disappear shortly before the new ones come out. It is even conceivable that announcements of new are timed to the emptying of the old from the warehouses.

Case in point. When I saw that the Mac Mini line had been PC-Juniored (watered down) I tried - the same day - to find a 4 core box from the previous generation. Apple did not offer any and none of the franchise stores had any left, either - Frys, BB, Simply Mac.

I doubt that Apple sends old generations to the crusher. They just plan well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since Apple is in full charge of the product line, from top to bottom, they do a pretty good job of managing end of generation production. Usually, the older Macs begin to disappear shortly before the new ones come out. It is even conceivable that announcements of new are timed to the emptying of the old from the warehouses.

Well said…and exactly on the money!

Additional support for this statement is. Usually (under normal circumstances) if someone goes to the Apple Store online…the "Available to Ship" says "In Stock". Now all MacBook Air's and 13" MacBook Pro's say "1 Business Day".

This basically means…stock is limited. Limited due to new models coming soon.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The only instances I've seen anything similar to what the OP is asking about some from mail order vendors clearing older models as new ones come out. Even then the saving isn't usually huge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What is normal when I last purchased a new iMac, and a Mac Pro prior to that, is Apple Stores and resellers start to run short of models about to be refreshed as the production line must close on the 'older' model some few months before the new release to have them in stock. For example on a 2012 iMac was hard to find a 27" model from about November, and the new release started just after Christmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.