Dock Question

Reaction score
How do make a new application permanently stay in the Dock? I believe there's supposed to be a Keep in Dock option if you click it long enough, but I'm not getting any of that sort.

I may have changed some settings. So how do I change it back?

Reaction score
you don't get context menu at all or the "Keep in Dock" option is missing? Have you tried to get it through "control+mouse click"?

Reaction score
Drag the app icon from your applications folder into the dock. It's stay there until you drag it out!

OP
O
Reaction score
Yeah, no option at all. I also tried the Control+Click, still doesn't show up. Dragging it from the Applications section doesn't work either, by the way.

Here's a screenshot:

Picture1.png

Thanks for the fast reply, by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like the Stickies application. I just tried dragging it from my Applications folder to the Dock and it works just fine.

Maybe you're trying to do it while the app is running? Try turning off the program first and then drag.

OP
O
Reaction score
Looks like the Stickies application. I just tried dragging it from my Applications folder to the Dock and it works just fine.

Maybe you're trying to do it while the app is running? Try turning off the program first and then drag.

Yeah, it is indeed the Stickies app. However, the problem isn't limited to that one app.

Tried doing what you said too. Still doesn't work. This is frustrating...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ok, explain to us how you're doing this.

You click on the application to select it. You drag it across the screen to where your dock is. While still dragging, you hover over the dock until the other icons move out of the way and an empty space is below the application. Then you let go and the app falls into place on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Would it be possible that you have the maximum allowed?

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok, explain to us how you're doing this.

You click on the application to select it. You drag it across the screen to where your dock is. While still dragging, you hover over the dock until the other icons move out of the way and an empty space is below the application. Then you let go and the app falls into place on the dock.

The other icons do not move away. Imagine dragging a folder to the dock. Nothing happens. That's exactly what's happening here.

I have 7 applications. I don't believe that's the max.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Have you restarted your computer since you've experienced the problem? If so, have you repaired permissions? I would give those a try if you haven't already.

OP
O
Reaction score
Have you restarted your computer since you've experienced the problem? If so, have you repaired permissions? I would give those a try if you haven't already.

Well actually this issue has been happening for nearly a year. I've just recently decided I can't take it anymore. So yeah, I've restarted it a couple of times.

What do you mean by "repaired permissions"?

Reaction score
Hum, I usually don't use stickies, but just gave it a try to drag it into the dock. worked perfectly..

Could it be that your dock is locked? Seems like it since the other icons are not moving away...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I've been trying out UltimateTask, which is a maintenance program. The first thing it does is repair permissions.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20529

I was going to try to explain permissions but I think I'm still to new, heh heh. Something to do with user accounts on a system?

OP
O
Reaction score
Hum, I usually don't use stickies, but just gave it a try to drag it into the dock. worked perfectly..

Could it be that your dock is locked? Seems like it since the other icons are not moving away...
Possibly.

How can I "unlock" it.

I've been trying out UltimateTask, which is a maintenance program. The first thing it does is repair permissions.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20529

I was going to try to explain permissions but I think I'm still to new, heh heh. Something to do with user accounts on a system?
Can anyone else explain it then?

I'll try out the program, thanks.

Reaction score
Preferences -> Accounts -> <your account> -> checkbox: "Allow user to administer..." must be checked

other than that there is some additional software you could try deeper you can lock/unlock the dock with that app. if there is nothing else I would give it a try and at least lock and unlock the dock with it and see if that solves the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Can you drag applications off the dock, so they disappear in a puff of smoke?

Is it just the one application that won't stick in the dock, or any program?

If nothing stays, try dragging everything off the dock and play around with the size and behaviour of the dock to resave the preferences before trying to drag all your apps back.

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply...
Preferences -> Accounts -> <your account> -> checkbox: "Allow user to administer..." must be checked
That's it! It actually worked!

Thanks. I must've switched the settings unknowingly or something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.