Do VPNs provide added security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
Was thinking of looking into VPNs after reading articles stating they add additional "security". especially while traveling. Am I wrong in thinking they basically just change your IP address to make it look like you are located somewhere else, but serious hackers can still access your data? Thank you

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. When you join that network, you are "relocated" to a different area and all of your traffic now comes out of that network and as such, yes, it is possible to pretend to be in a different region than where you really are.

The private part of VPN gives you an additional layer of security since all of your traffic is now encrypted through that chain.

If you are on public WiFi's and doing anything sensitive, you should absolutely be on a VPN. However, if you are using a known app to stream audio or something, it's less necessary for a VPN when on public WiFi.

VPNs are all used my companies to restrict access to systems. So, if you want to access an "internal" service/server at a company, you need to sign into the company's VPN which requires credentials that not all would have.

VPNs can be used for restrictive places like China to get around the "Great Firewall" by pretending to be located in another, more open, Asian country.

Reactions: IWT
Reaction score
Was thinking of looking into VPNs after reading articles stating they add additional "security". especially while traveling. Am I wrong in thinking they basically just change your IP address to make it look like you are located somewhere else, but serious hackers can still access your data? Thank you

Most users may not have a need for a VPN anymore. If your only concern is having your communications intercepted by hackers, VPN's are more or less an anachronism that have been made superfluous by current technology:

It’s Time to Stop Paying for a VPN (Published 2021)

The Washington Post Says There's 'No Real Reason' to Use a VPN

Why VPNs are a WASTE of Your Money (usually…)

Follow up:

"The reality is that web security has improved so much in the last few years that VPN services, which charge monthly subscription fees that cost as much as Netflix, offer superfluous protection for most people concerned about privacy, some security researchers said."

Also:

"Many of the most popular VPN services are now also less trustworthy than in the past because they have been bought by larger companies with shady track records."

Note the last statement. There has been a lot of consolidation in the VPN market in just the past few years. Mostly, companies that have harvesting your data as a business model have been buying up VPN services. This is not a good thing, and it may mean that VPN services are now actually something to be avoided.

So...are there still people who need a VPN? Sure. A VPN is useful if you want to access content that is restricted to only a certain geographical area. It's useful if you are concerned about your government eavesdropping on you. And, of course, a VPN is useful if you are doing illegal things on the Internet (like downloading pirated videos or music) and don't want to be traced and caught. But I doubt that many folks on this forum fall in any of those categories.

That all said, this respected Internet privacy site takes a contra view:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think the second article which Randy has attached above aligns pretty well with my understanding;

"Without a VPN, everything you do online is traceable to your physical location and the device you are using via the device’s IP address."

For that reason alone I will continue to use a VPN. I also need to get around geoblocking when o/seas to watch local news in my home country.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I concur with almost everything Randy has cited in his careful summary of VPNs.

And, of course, Rod is right in his reasoning and his specific requirements.

I would, with respect, suggest that there is still a requirement for a VPN in certain, everyday situations:

In a Cafe or similar establishment, with "Free" WiFi.
On buses and trains with free WiFi.
In a Hotel with free WiFi
In fact, almost anywhere that offers Free WiFi

When undertaking any business where privacy is critical, such as Banking Online.

Just my thoughts.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ian makes some good points especially re free sites who often disclose that they have no security.

Also I have one of the most expensive VPN's, I believe you get what you pay for with VPN's, it still doesn't cost as much as Netflix and it includes 5 devices whereas our Netflix plan is only for 1 screen.

Reaction score
I would, with respect, suggest that there is still a requirement for a VPN in certain, everyday situations:

In a Cafe or similar establishment, with "Free" WiFi.
On buses and trains with free WiFi.
In a Hotel with free WiFi
In fact, almost anywhere that offers Free WiFi

Just about every important Web site that you access these days (i.e. all Web sites with "HTTPS" addresses) have end to end encryption. The fact that the places that you have mentioned have free Wi-Fi doesn't defeat this in any way. Even if your communications are intercepted, they are encrypted and useless to bad actors.

In fact, the above situations used to be the main reason for needing a VPN. That reason is now gone. That was the entire point of the articles that I cited.

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that while VPNs make hacking more difficult, they don't make it impossible. A determined hacker can still cause trouble if they really want to. Also, not all VPNs are created equal. Some are more secure and reliable than others. So if you decide to use one, do your research before choosing a service. The more expensive ones are usually better.

A proxy server is another tool that you can use to enhance online privacy and security, much like a VPN. Might also be worth looking into

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that while VPNs make hacking more difficult, they don't make it impossible. A determined hacker can still cause trouble if they really want to.

In all the decades that I've been writing about Macs, and the tens of thousands of Mac users I've heard from, I haven't heard a single believable first hand report of a user losing data to a hacker. Not one.

Back when hacking competitions were a thing, even the experienced hackers in those competitions usually couldn't hack into a Mac until they were given physical access to the Mac.

While it might be theoretically possible to hack into a Mac, in general it just isn't a concern.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not to totally derail this conversation, but the "best" depiction of this buffoonery is in the movie Independence Day with Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in the scene where after a hard nights partying, Jeff's character has the "brilliant" idea to give a virus to the alien ship to then go on and "win" the rest of the movie..

Even for the naive technologist out there, it's abundantly clear that the 3 dominant OS' created by humans, Windows, macOS and Linux don't talk to each other. But hey, no biggie, Jeff will somehow figure out a totally alien (true to the word) computer system (hardware and software) and write code that will work there.

Cuz you know, when they say USB the U in there is Universal and that MUST mean the entire known universe right..? Earth and every other inhabitable planet out there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not to totally derail this conversation, but the "best" depiction of this buffoonery is in the movie Independence Day with Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in the scene where after a hard nights partying, Jeff's character has the "brilliant" idea to give a virus to the alien ship to then go on and "win" the rest of the movie..

Good grief... You mean to say that some people actually bother to watch such fantasy movies that Hollywood seems to keep producing...???

Why bother...???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Good grief... You mean to say that some people actually bother to watch such fantasy movies that Hollywood seems to keep producing...???

Why bother...???

- Patrick
=======
Because it is light hearted and a distraction in today's world.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Today's science fiction is tomorrows reality. Take for example the sudden pull back on the uncontrolled/ unregulated development of AI, it's straight out of Terminator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Take for example the sudden pull back on the uncontrolled/ unregulated development of AI

How true, and could someone please take it along with all the additional recent A1 stuff as far as they can to the edge of the Earth and drop it off the edge into some Black Hole???

- Patrick
=======

Reactions: IWT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.