Sound capture?

Video capture?

Rodent capture?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
He's most likely referring to a video capture device. And if that's the case, then no - you'll need a third party add on device like one of the EyeTV USB adapters.

Many times, you can also use a digital camcorder to do analog to digital transfers if it has a Firewire connection.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks CWA107 i have DV camera that has a fire wire connection what i am wanting it for is to record games from my xbox i was told to either buy a capture card or use a DV camera im not sure if the camera i have is the right type but i cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone on that forum

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks CWA107 i have DV camera that has a fire wire connection what i am wanting it for is to record games from my xbox i was told to either buy a capture card or use a DV camera im not sure if the camera i have is the right type but i cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone on that forum

Most DV cams that have a firewire port, also have analog jacks to connect up an analog source. Essentially, you'd just pipe your XBOX into the analog jacks and then capture the video using something like iMovie. I've never done it myself, but I have used other analog sources (like a VCR) successfully, using my Canon ELURA 65.

OP
R
Reaction score
How would i connect the xbox to the camera would i use a USB cable and then use the fire wire to connect the camera to the Mac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How would i connect the xbox to the camera would i use a USB cable and then use the fire wire to connect the camera to the Mac?

Assuming the XBOX has a composite out, you would connect a composite cable (yellow RCA cable) plus stereo RCA cables to the Yellow, White and Red connectors on the camera (or the camera's break-out box).

Again, I know nothing about the XBOX's connectivity options, nor do I have any familiarity with your DV camera. Your manual should explain how to connect an analog device.

OP
R
Reaction score
I do haver the wrong type of camera then it doenst have the red white and yellow cables looks like ive got to by the external capture card

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do haver the wrong type of camera then it doenst have the red white and yellow cables looks like ive got to by the external capture card

I would double-check your DV cam's manual and see what kind of analog inputs it has. A lot of times, the ports aren't on the camera itself, but on a "break out" box that connects to a small port on the camera. Sometimes those boxes are optional and cost just a few bucks, if it didn't actually come with it.

It's really just a matter of mapping up the outputs available from the XBOX to the inputs on the DV cam.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.