Do I have a microphone input

Reaction score
Following is About This Mac Hardware System Report about devices. I have software to convert my old LP records but I cannot find an audio input on My Mac
BookPro. Am I not looking in the correct place or does it not exist? If it doesn't exist, can one be added and what would the damage be?

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Devices:

Built-in Microphone:

Default Input Device: Yes
Input Channels: 2
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Current SampleRate: 44100
Transport: Built-in

Built-in Output:

Default Output Device: Yes
Default System Output Device: Yes
Output Channels: 2

OP
N
Reaction score
Does my MacBookPro have an external audio input?

Following is About This Mac Hardware System Report about devices. I have software to convert my old LP records but I cannot find an audio input on My Mac
BookPro. Am I not looking in the correct place or does it not exist? If it doesn't exist, can one be added and what would the damage be?

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Devices:

Built-in Microphone:

Default Input Device: Yes
Input Channels: 2

Built-in Output:

Default Output Device: Yes
Default System Output Device: Yes
Output Channels: 2

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged & moved to better location. It is not necessary to double post. If additional thoughts are necessary…please post in the same thread.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
I went to the Apple support site, entered the serial number and got the response "service coverage expired".

Found image of my Mac at: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) - Technical Specifications

Sorry I cannot insert the image here. Looking at the ports left to right everything matches through the 2 USB ports. Don't know what a "Thunderbolt" port looks like so don't know if that is what the port after the two USB ports is. It has no icon label to it. The next and last port is labeled with a headphone icon. Is it really an audio in/out port? I tried it and it didn't work as in input. How do I know if it should have? Below is what I was able to copy and paste from the web site above.

MagSafe power port
Gigabit Ethernet port
FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
Audio in/out
SDXC card slot
Kensington lock slot
Communications

Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Audio

Stereo speakers with subwoofer
Omnidirectional microphone
Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output)
Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The headphone port is a combined headphone/line in port if I am reading the information correctly. That port behaves as a headphone jack unless you have something plugged in that requires a "line in" connection.

I know you said you were trying to convert LPs but what exactly were you trying to connect to the Mac to do it? There are a number of mics that do not connect to that port properly even though the connection fits physically. A turntable usually does not connect directly either without modification.

If you can give us an idea what equipment you will be using (turntable, receiver, etc.) we can give better advice. Please include model numbers if you know them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That jack is a mystery to me. I have read it's for Apple combined Headphone/Microphone. There might be a way to get it to work with the right plug as a Audio In. Also have you checked the System Preferences and Sound panel? Check the Input tab. Tell us what shows up there.

If you can not get it to work I would suggest a Line In to USB converter. I used to recommend the iMic but not even sure if they make that anymore but there are USB audio adapters that work on OSX.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Slys post. If you are using a Turntable, you need at least a Preamp that provides the proper equalization from the Cartridge low output and converts it to a Line Level. The IMic I mentioned above did that and had a USB output. I did a lot of my LP's that were not on CD's to my Mac.

Reaction score
The quality of your recording though will depend a lot on the quality of the Mac's A/D convertor, which is consumer grade.

OP
N
Reaction score
The headphone port is a combined headphone/line in port if I am reading the information correctly. That port behaves as a headphone jack unless you have something plugged in that requires a "line in" connection.

I know you said you were trying to convert LPs but what exactly were you trying to connect to the Mac to do it? There are a number of mics that do not connect to that port properly even though the connection fits physically. A turntable usually does not connect directly either without modification.

If you can give us an idea what equipment you will be using (turntable, receiver, etc.) we can give better advice. Please include model numbers if you know them.

My turntable is connected to a RCA Professional Series STAV 3870 Audio/Video Receiver. You kind folks have helped me gain some understanding and as a result of that I did some google searching for a USB audio adapter and although most seemed to meet folks needs as an audio output a couple of reviewers indicated it worked well as an input and one reported doing exactly what I am attempting. Was just $15 so decided to order. Someone here has provided a link to an online source for a couple dollars less. I'd already ordered and since it's from Walmart I can always take it back. A big THANK YOU to everyone who has tried to help me. Wish I were more adept at using this site. My name Choice tells it all.:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
A big THANK YOU to everyone who has tried to help me. Wish I were more adept at using this site. My name Choice tells it all.:)

ROTFL. Never noticed the name choice till you pointed it out. We've all been there at one point or another. Let us know how things work out. There are other options if that does not work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.