DNS and iOS 8.1

Reaction score
So, in the past I've been able to change the DNS settings on my iOS devices to Google servers, and the changes would stick.

In iOS 8.1, it appears that this isn't working at all.

I've heard about changes to DNS...things...in OS X, is it possible these changes were also made to iOS? (Even though for the record, I can change and keep DNS changes in OS X 10.10.1).

As a side note; the Google DNS IPs here.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This thread can remain here as it also has to do with iOS.

I don't know if you're aware that you can not change the DNS servers on your iPhone or iPad for cellular connections. However, it is possible to change them for WiFi. I'm currently using the Google free DNS servers for my iMac and have them programmed into my home router.

When I'm at home and using my router, those DNS servers (Google) will be used, however, when I'm out and about, I use cellular for the most part. There are times when I may stop in Starbucks or some place that has free WiFi and I suppose I could program the Google DNS servers into my iPhone and iPad.

What makes you think that changing the DNS servers is not working for iOS 8.X?

OP
C
Reaction score
This thread can remain here as it also has to do with iOS.

I don't know if you're aware that you can not change the DNS servers on your iPhone or iPad for cellular connections. However, it is possible to change them for WiFi. I'm currently using the Google free DNS servers for my iMac and have them programmed into my home router.

When I'm at home and using my router, those DNS servers (Google) will be used, however, when I'm out and about, I use cellular for the most part. There are times when I may stop in Starbucks or some place that has free WiFi and I suppose I could program the Google DNS servers into my iPhone and iPad.

What makes you think that changing the DNS servers is not working for iOS 8.X?

I'm fully aware the DNS settings cannot be changed when using cellular connections. ;)

In the latest version of iOS 8, after going in and changing the DNS settings for my home Wifi connection in iOS 8, they don't stick. They revert back to whatever DNS addresses were there before, after I back out of the settings for the Wifi connection. (And I do connect to my school's public Wifi system, but I leave the settings alone - changing the DNS settings for any of those connections kicks you off the network).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In the latest version of iOS 8, after going in and changing the DNS settings for my home Wifi connection in iOS 8, they don't stick. They revert back to whatever DNS addresses were there before, after I back out of the settings for the Wifi connection.

I just went through the DNS settings on my iPhone (iOS 8.1.2) and it defaults to my home router. I tried changing it to 8.8.8.8. which I have programmed into my router and iMac and it won't stick. What it does is go back to the default IP address of my router. But since I know my router is using the Google public DNS servers, my iPhone has to be using the same thing as long as I'm on my home WiFi system.

I hope that helps somewhat?

OP
C
Reaction score
I just went through the DNS settings on my iPhone (iOS 8.1.2) and it defaults to my home router. I tried changing it to 8.8.8.8. which I have programmed into my router and iMac and it won't stick. What it does is go back to the default IP address of my router. But since I know my router is using the Google public DNS servers, my iPhone has to be using the same thing as long as I'm on my home WiFi system.

I hope that helps somewhat?

Yeah I put in the DNS addresses for Google servers into the DNS settings for my wireless router. At this point the iOS devices I have are flying into webpages quite faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.