DIY Upgrading hardware

Reaction score
Got my wife an Intel 1.66GHz Mac Mini. Obviously, the 512 isn't enough so I have plans to upgrade it myself. After tinkering with the case a bit the other day, I understand how it comes apart but I can tell I'm going to have to block off some time and make sure I do everything I need to in one sitting (like a possible HHD upgrade). I'm having a hard time getting clear info on what the actual hardware components are. Here they are:

RAM
1 slot or 2?
SODIMM or SDRAM?
Will modules with attached heat sinks make it too tight a fit?

HDD
5.25" or 3/5"?
Maximum size?
Heat-dissipation issues?

I assume I can just buy "standard" modules and HHD (i.e. I don't need to look for "Mac compatible") but if that's not the case, please let me know now :)

(And yes, I know taking the case off can void the warranty. On the other hand, if I understand Apple's pricing scheme, upgrading the memory and RAM straight from Apple will cost almost as much as buying a new Mini since I doubt they'll use my hardware, so the money I save could be put towards a replacement if I blow it ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The mini uses laptop RAM and HD's so go with SODIMMS and 3.5" respectively.
Make sure you get a 7200RPM drive. I've always noticed a difference in the computers speed when upgrading from a slower HD.
Bryan
Good luck with that. There should definitely be some kind of guide/ walk through to taking apart the mini online. Taking apart macs are never as easy as it looks. With the guide, it's pretty hard to mess up.
Bryan

Reaction score
I may be mistaken but I think the mini has a 2.5" hard drive, not 3.5".

--

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, and this kind of points out my problem...

I think most of the "Take apart your Mini" guides were written for the 1st gen, not the current ones. Bry says to use SODIMM's but the Mac box says "SDRAM" which usually means larger sticks. I think the old ones did use SODIMM's, but I'm now not clear if the Mini uses SDRAM or if the box is using the name in a different way.

Hmmmmmm.

Well, thanks for the comments. Has anyone actually taken apart one of the new 1.6 or 1.8 GHz's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
200-pin SODIMM
DDR2 PC2-5300

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the iMacs take SODIMM, there is no way the mini is taking SDRAM. Sorry for the error above. Duh to me, it's 2.5in.
Bryan

OP
T
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I think I was confusing "SDRAM" with "DIMM" as opposed to remembering it's just the type of memory and can be both DIMM or SODIMM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that's my fault since I was thinking of the old floppies when I typed 3.5", not HDD's :)

That's for the way out. Yea, it's your fault for my error!
Kidding aside, I wouldn't recommend taking the Mini apart without an online guide. I've taken apart many Macs and I think they love to confuse people when they make them. There are so many screws that look like they do nothing when they for example hold the top plate down but are located right under the bottom plate. There is no set reason to the screw layout either.
If I was Apple, I'd secretly do the same thing. It's the easiest way to sell a second computer....
Bryan
I think I gave this advice before but that's really the best advice I have to anyone taking a Mac apart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
SODIMMs, same specification as Intel iMac and the Macbook.

The hard disk is a 2.5 inch SATA drive.

As for opening the case. I fiddled around for about 20-30 minutes with various tools.

I found that a thin metal slotted turner (like you flip burgers, fried eggs with) worked best. Note that you have to slide it in at a slight angle as there is a ridge in the outer case. Slide it down, then prise outwards slightly (away from the case) and then push in again to loosen the clips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.