DIY MacBook dent solutions??

Tonyfixit

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I couldn’t find a thread so apologies if there is already one about this.
I’ve dropped me MacBook Pro and the quote is £1200 to fix screen and lowercase. The screen needs repaired however I would like to try and fix the dent myself enough so that it doesn’t risk breaking the screen again. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Show us pictures of the damage.

If the dent isn't affecting functionality (ability to properly close the lid or whatever), I wouldn't bother. You'll, obviously, want to fix the screen to be able to use it as a notebook.

If not, you can always get an external monitor and use it in clamshell mode as a desktop computer from here on.

OP
T

Tonyfixit

Reaction score
Show us pictures of the damage.

If the dent isn't affecting functionality (ability to properly close the lid or whatever), I wouldn't bother. You'll, obviously, want to fix the screen to be able to use it as a notebook.

If not, you can always get an external monitor and use it in clamshell mode as a desktop computer from here on.
Thank you. The Mac is in for screen repair @ £600. Im told the lower case will always be an issue for 're-cracking' the screen

Attachments

• tempImagepazjCN.png
    tempImagepazjCN.png
    396.1 KB · Views: 12

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ahh yes, unfortunate position for the dent since it prevents the top lid from closing cleanly and indeed if you do close it and put pressure, you're risking damaging the screen.

Also, not being able to completely close the lid might affect the MBP's ability to go to sleep since the detection might not fully work.

That's a aluminum case and if you're going to way to try to fix it, then you'll have to take out all the electronic components from the base and then use the appropriate tools (hammer and what not) to reduce the dent to as flat as possible. You can visit iFixIt to determine how to take the MBP apart.

OP
T

Tonyfixit

Reaction score
Ahh yes, unfortunate position for the dent since it prevents the top lid from closing cleanly and indeed if you do close it and put pressure, you're risking damaging the screen.

Also, not being able to completely close the lid might affect the MBP's ability to go to sleep since the detection might not fully work.

That's a aluminum case and if you're going to way to try to fix it, then you'll have to take out all the electronic components from the base and then use the appropriate tools (hammer and what not) to reduce the dent to as flat as possible. You can visit iFixIt to determine how to take the MBP apart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The corner of the top case shown in your photo is substantially thick aluminium. There's no neat way to fix other than replace the top case with battery. The only realistic way to remove the raised aluminium area is to carefully use a fine file, though it certainly won't be an invisible fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The corner of the top case shown in your photo is substantially thick aluminium. There's no neat way to fix other than replace the top case with battery.

Maybe check out a local auto body repair shop that has experience working with aluminum and see what they have to say and how much they might charge.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.