distributing files and downloads and notes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Hi everyone, another newbie question here from a long time windows user with only 2 weeks under my belt on the Mac.
I have some downloaded spreadsheets and documents and some typed "notes" that in windows I would open duplicate pages and place downloads and notes etc in a document file. I have downloads on the right side of my dock and I think I want to move some files to a document file in "numbers" but I cannot drag/drop as I am used to doing the old way. Do I just leave them in downloads? seems wrong. Or how do I place these files to save in a "numbers" document file. I really appreciate any help on this. I dragged a couple of spreadsheets to my "safari" file that I named a document file but that does not feel right. I know there has to be a way to keep these docs off safari and into a document area on numbers. Thanks all for any and all advice. This laptop really blows away the last 5 I owned but I am still learning all aspects.
Steve.
ps, I must ask this too, I receive spreadsheets from a co-worker at the Union Hall and I have to update these files and return them. The recipient uses windows based computers in his office, do I need an anti virus program to protect this Mac? Thank you.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Documents associated and created by Numbers (spreadsheet program) belong in your "Documents" folder. That should be the folder directly to the left of your Downloads folder on the Dock. Just drag the document from Downloads and drop it on to the Documents folder icon. Other documents created by Pages, Keynote, MS Word (if you have a copy of Office) likewise belong in the "Documents" folder. The apps that came with your new Mac (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) will normally create and save documents in the "Documents" folder. You can change that if you desire but it's not recommended and much easier to keep them all in one folder.

An answer to your second question regarding using an AV program is that you do not need one. There are currently no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. There is, however, Malware which is why we recommend you download and use the free Malwarebytes Anti Malware.app. Download a free copy from this LINK.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
////That should be the folder directly to the left of your Downloads folder on the Dock.//// Did not have one there so I dragged the documents from the finder page and parked it there, is that correct?
Thanks for the malware link I will download that now.
Thanks for the info.
Steve.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did not have one there so I dragged the documents from the finder page and parked it there, is that correct?

Yes, that should do it. Don't forget to download the free Malware software. And, after you download it, do a scan to make sure there is no malware lurking on your hard drive. ;)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help, all working ok and no malware detected.
Steve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.