Display Settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Another thread drew my interest to the Control Centre and Stage Manager, whilst looking around I came across this:

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 10.22.25.png

As I have two screens, but normally only use one, with occasional use of the second, I mirror my main monitor and switch the other off. So this setting interested me, rolling over Screen Mirroring does nothing, regardless of whether the screens are mirrored or not, Display Setting does take me to settings, so is Screen Mirroring supposed to do something, and if so what and when.

Whilst looking at this I came across this:

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 10.22.49.png

Neither monitor slider does anything, I assume they are for brightness, again Display Settings work, and the same question, what and when.

Finally in setting for control centre I came across this:

1704796305535.png

The "Display" is set to Show when active, but is has never shown itself, I did move it to "Always Show" so I know what it looks like, and again, why is it never showing, etc.

I suspect it maybe because of my monitors input type, but some assurance I don't have a faulty system would be appreciated. TVM

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm in no way an expert on this Jim B; but my understanding is that Screen Mirroring refers to the ability to mimic the screen of an iPhone or iPad, thereby allowing others to see things better or for the iDevice user to show things in greater detail.

Now, I could be way out here, but that's my vague recollection. I have not used this myself.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I suspect it maybe because of my monitors input type

I agree that it should have something to do with the connection type. I use multiple monitors, but I use Extended Desktop, not Mirroring. Neither of my displays are controllable through macOS Settings also. I use HDMI & USBC for the monitor input and I believe Thunderbolt input would allow the display to be activated in macOS Settings, or maybe just the Displays Apple sells.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Now, I could be way out here, but that's my vague recollection. I have not used this myself.
Ian, Screen Mirroring has been around for a very long time. It only became available with iOS/iPadOS devices (iOS 11)

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@IWT and @ferrarr many thanks for your replies, though I did not say what my connections are, main monitor HDMI, secondary monitor, VGA, via Apple adaptor from USB-C.

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would seem you are correct, having connected my iPad via cable both the Mirror and display setting "came alive". Though, although connected via WiFi as well when unplugging it became unstable.

As an aside, when I first got my Mac Mini, I connected both my IPad and IPhone, and ticked the connect by WiFi, but each time the OS updates, it looses the connection. This is not a problem as I don't need them connected to the Mac, but just annoying that they reset.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As I have two screens, but normally only use one, with occasional use of the second, I mirror my main monitor and switch the other off.
So this setting interested me, rolling over Screen Mirroring does nothing, regardless of whether the screens are mirrored or not, Display Setting does take me to settings, so is Screen Mirroring supposed to do something, and if so what and when.
If you normally only use a single display...and occasionally use the 2nd display...why is Screen Mirroring of interest? And if you did have 2 displays active (locally)...right in front of you...why would you want 2 displays in front of you displaying the exact same info?

The main purposes of Screen Mirroring require you to have at least 2 displays of some sort active at the same time. If only have 1 screen active (locally)...there's really no point to using Screen Mirroring.

There are circumstances where Screen Mirroring can be handy:

1. Locally...when maybe 1 person is tutoring a 2nd person on how to do something on a computer...and each person having their own display might be more convenient for viewing.

2. Remotely...when 1 person may be trying to help/tutor a 2nd person located some distance away (down the street, different city, different country, etc).

3. In a classroom environment...Screen Mirroring can be handy if the teacher wanted each student to be able to view what's displayed on the teacher's computer.

4. If in a video conference call...sometimes it can be handy to share what's on a display to the meeting group.

If someone had a laptop computer (with a small display)...and wanted to mirror the laptop display on a connected larger external display. In this case Screen Mirroring most likely wouldn't be used..."Clamshell Mode" would probably be the more common way to do things (with laptop display closed...and an external keyboard & input device used). Or use both displays in "Extended Desktop" mode.

In this case if we're mainly talking about 2 local displays...where one display is used most often...and a 2nd display is used occasionally (turned off when not in use)...Screen Mirroring is usually not something needed.

If there are details to this situation that have not been mentioned that may explain why Screen Mirroring is necessary...please share.:)

- Nick

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have two screens, and the second screen is used as an extended activity when certain activities require multiple documents open, and I am referring from one document to the next.
However, a lot of the time I only need a single screen, so see no point in having the second switched screen on, if I leave the setting on extended display (with the screen off), it is possible for apps to open in the second screen, and the mouse to disappear into this screen (and therefore they are unseen). Solution is to "arrange" the second screen mirrors the main screen mirror, and no issues.
When the second screen is required, power it up and "stop mirroring" and I am up and running.
The alternate would be to disconnect the video input, and I prefer, not to hot plug/unplug screens, or keep powering down.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Jimmysb I just skimmed this thread so the following may have been touched on and I missed it.

Screen mirroring on the Mac has been around for a long time on the Mac and IIRC pre-dates the IOS devices. With screen mirroring enabled the content of whatever display is designated is mirrored to the second screen. Your post, which appeared as I typed, suggests you have already discovered this. The options in your earlier screenshots only become active when the second screen is on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, a lot of the time I only need a single screen, so see no point in having the second switched screen on, if I leave the setting on extended display (with the screen off), it is possible for apps to open in the second screen, and the mouse to disappear into this screen (and therefore they are unseen). Solution is to "arrange" the second screen mirrors the main screen mirror, and no issues.

The alternate would be to disconnect the video input, and I prefer, not to hot plug/unplug screens, or keep powering down.
Thanks much for the extra details. Yes that makes sense that some items might get "lost" on that 2nd display...when that 2nd display is turned off/not in use.

This is an unusual way to do things. Usually if someone has multiple displays connected to a computer...usually all connected displays are powered on & in use. If one or more monitors are not needed...then they are disconnected.

I'm guessing you want to turn off the 2nd display when not in use...either to save on electricity...save on wear & tear on the display...or a bit of both. Both are good reasons.

I think normally/most users...the non-used display would be disconnected from the computer (disconnect the video cable)....don't need to disconnect the power cable.

But let's assume the "Screen Mirroring" feature can be used as a solution in this case.

Looking at the "Display" System Preference...make sure the single display you normally use is set as the "Main Display"...then set the 2nd (powered down display)...to mirror the main display. Make sure in the list of options...that the 2nd display is mirroring the "main display".

Here's a screenshot of what I'm referring to:

Mirror 2.png

In the screenshot...my main display is the AL2223W...and the HP w2408 is an "Extended Display". If I wanted to turn off/power down the HP w2408...then I would want to select the "Mirror for AL2223W" option.

Please give this a try...see if it works. Depending on the macOS version...the interface my be different (I'm running macOS 12.4 Monterey).

If this doesn't work...to avoid the issue...I'm thinking the 2nd display needs to be powered on all the time...or the video cable for the 2nd display needs to be disconnected (when the 2nd display is not being used).

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the point of the question is being missed, l mirror without issue, my query was reference the mirroring in the control panel, answered by @IWT and confirmed that that setting is for mirroring an iPad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal...glad you are all set.:)

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.