Display resolution issue ..

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I've got MacBook Pro 2020 from my work. I don't have admin permission on it. Also I know that IT has on purpose restricted some access to some services and so on. That's fine .. but I assume that my case is not related to permission.
My MacBook runs MacOS 13.5
Today I've bought a new Monitor Acer XZ306CX 29.5". It should provide Maximum Display resolution 2560 x 1080
I connected it to MacBook via adapter and HDMI. To the same hub is connected another monitory HP 21" ( old one ) using VGA port. BTW: the old one has better picture than new one.
My issue: the picture on Acer is not good, not sharp, blurry ... not as expected. I see that current resolution is 1920 x 1080. I checked Display settings on MacBook:(see attachment)
I called Acer support. They said that my issue is because MacBook is mirroring but it should extend. I tried to find this option. but I don't see it.
Could you please tell me what is wrong? In case this is due to my 'restricted' MacBook .. I could live with it .. but maybe it's somewhere settings are wrong or etc?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 3.16.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 3.16.48 PM.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
OP
S
Reaction score
Folks,
I found the issue!
I have two adapters or hubs. One side is USB-C to MBP and adapter itself has many ports ... like HDMI, USB-C, VGA and etc. I checked that adapter I tried initially failed to set expected resolution and identify second display.
I took another adapter ... converting similar ports and it started to work as expected.
I now need only to figure out how switch cables for another monitor but main issue is resolved and I have expected resolution by changing adapters.
Thanks for trying to help
P.S. @Randy B. Singer - I did not know that MBP ports are not USB-C but Thunderbolt-3. It's everywhere referenced as USB-C ... but anyway .. I think that my current adapter resolved the issue, Thanks

Reaction score

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This might not be the issue but check the documentation for the hub you are using and see if any of them exhibit unusual behavior when using the VGA port. I have a device that I recently began using with my Mac Mini and decided to put an old VGA monitor into service as a second monitor. With the dock connected, I have an HDMI port on the Mini and both VGA and HDMI ports on the dock.

With this hardware available I get the following behavior:

1. If I use the HDMI and VGA ports on the dock, both monitors are limited to VGA reso;ution.
2. If I connect the HDMI monitor to the Mac and VGA monitor to the dock both monitors work at their best resolution.

There may be some limitations to what resolutions the ports on the dock can generate under certain circumstances.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.