Display, resolution and DVD failures!!!... :-#

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
My MacBook has few issues:

- Sometimes it cant read any dvd, and it ejects it, I have to insert it few times until dvd-rom reads and mount it.
- Last night it booted with a very weirdo resolution, it displayed only the 1/4 of the whole desktop, but that 1/4 of desktop were as big as filled the whole screen, then display become very fuzzy and staticly... and I must turn it off.
- Then I booted windows (boot-camp) and windows said that I have no dvd installed, yes, windows didnt detected my dvd or dvd were having hardware problems...

I have to reboot into mac os and fix manually the resolution, so now i can see the 100% of desktop, not just the 25%...

What can I do?
Do you guys recommend me to send it to apple before my one year of service coverage ends?

Thanks
Aldo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
As far as the optical drive not reading dvd's, try a few resets. make sure you have the latest software updates.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

As far as booting with a weird resolution, that could be a plist that needs to be pulled: finder>click on the house icon>library>preferences. Or you might need to empty the system cache.

Either way, something in windows is breaking Os X. Os X always craps out when you install windows. Check to make sure nothing is starting up with os x. finder>macintosh HD>Library>start up items.
If there is something in that folder trash it and restart your computer.

If Windows isn't recognizing your optical drive, you might need drivers. But the short answer to all this is that you probably need to reinstall windows.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your computer other then software.

OP
sugar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
hi, it's sofware is always up to date, I never have resetted the dvd rom, I will check out all those things tonight, also I installed windows on boot-camp 10 months ago, I use mac os 80% and windows 20%, and that was the first time that windows didnt recognized any hardware device, and weirdo thing was that that happened the same minute in wich mac os booted with weirdo resolution...

anyways do you recommend me to purchase the $250 3-years extended plan? (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA519LL/A)

aldo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
If you have the spare cash, then buy it. It will give you hardware and phone support for three years from the original purchase date of your mac. Though tech support can't help you with windows, most of the agents are willing to try and help you find a solution, or might have a solution for you from previous experience.
I didn't buy it, but I trust my hardware not to fail, and I can fix any software and most hardware problems that happen to my mac.
So In short, if you don't trust yourself to rip your mac open and replace your optical drive if need be, I say buy the protection plan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.