display & monitor

Reaction score
I purchased a 13" Mac Pro Retina in 2013. It has worked flawlessly until late last week. I shut down the laptop as normal and when I booted back up the next morning, the screen was grey and flickering to normal back to grey again.

I researched on this and other forums and it seems others have had this problem but I could not find a solution that I could deal with myself. I made an appointment with the Apple store to have the laptop checked out.

It was much to my disappointment to learn that they would have to replace my monitor at the cost of USD 500. And I was told that if this didn't work to solve the problem, I may as well just buy a NEW laptop.

Obviously I didn't purchase the extended warranty because I hoped I wouldn't have an issue so early in the ownership of the laptop. In hindsight, of course I should have.

But ... this little laptop was expensive and I considering others have had this problem, Apple is aware of the potential issue. If they are aware and I was told today we were not the first to experience the problem, why doesn't Apple recall this product?

When you pay this much for what you think is a quality product, you expect quality and certainly not an issue as serious as this after on 1 year of service.

On the heels of Apples new intro's of product yesterday, I can truly say that I'm not too excited about them.

Where does one go when they've been told by the official Apple staff that your 1 year old laptop is worthless?

Reaction score
actually it's not worthless and you need to really understand something that you are not going to like at all.

98.9% of the time it's not your monitor or in this case your laptops screen it could be your graphics card is going out as well there is a flaw though i am aware of in that model where repeated opening and closing of the laptop causes the laptops screen ribbon cable to tear creating video card and lcd and led shorts on the screen not only for internal monitors but external monitors as well this is why most people purchase a macbook air just for this reason.

be glad it's not a aluminium macbook pro the core 2 duo macbook pro aluminum model has a bad graphics card made by nvidia and in order to fix it you have to purchase a new main board at 800.00

OP
F
Reaction score
Not sure of the difference, my laptop appears aluminum, is a 13" Macbook Pro w/ Retina built in early 2013.

If Apple knows they have this issue, why are they not standing behind the product w/ the faulty nvidia graphics card?

This laptop has had very, very light use, which only adds a large about of frustration and disappointment to the situation.

I guess we'll find out on Friday if changing the monitor has fixed the issue. If not, they will see how well a 13" Mac Pro imitates a frisbee as it flys through the frigg'n store.

I'll certainly not be replacing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.