Display connection issues

Reaction score
Hello,

Hoping someone here can offer some advice.

I'm running a 2017 MacBook Pro through a USB-HDMI converter, then running HDMI to a Samsung display monitor. When the connection is successfully made it runs perfectly. Here's the problem....

Whenever I unplug to use the MacBook as a stand alone unit, I have to go through a 10 minute long fight in order to get the display to connect again. I try unplugging then plugging it back in to reseat it (multiple times), I try closing the lid and reopening, restarting, different combinations of the monitor being ON when I plug it in, or OFF. - Eventually.... it will connect, it's completely random and I cannot figure out if there is a certain combination that gets this thing to work.

Does any body know if there is a step process that will help the MacBook and display to connect?

This is driving me insane!

Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have you trie a different HDMI cable to see if that helps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does any body know if there is a step process that will help the MacBook and display to connect?

I cannot help wondering if SwitchResX.app could not fix your problem, assuming cables and connectors are all okay as mentioned.

Display settings are retained after restart or clean-boot when paid for and registered unless that changed with a later version.

Anyway, just a thought that just might work. ?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
You can connect one or more external displays depending on your Mac model. To find out how many external displays your Mac supports, check its technical specifications:

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Click the Support tab.
  3. Click Specifications.
  4. On the webpage that appears, the number of displays your Mac supports appears under Video Support or Graphics.
If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop. On Mac mini (M1, 2020), you can connect a second display to the HDMI port.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can connect one or more external displays depending on your Mac model. To find out how many external displays your Mac supports, check its technical specifications:

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Click the Support tab.
  3. Click Specifications.
  4. On the webpage that appears, the number of displays your Mac supports appears under Video Support or Graphics.
If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop. On Mac mini (M1, 2020), you can connect a second display to the HDMI port.

Not true, docks use USB and DisplayLink drivers to support way more displays than could be supported by the physical ports on a computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.