Disk utility is stuck in SHOW ALL DEVICES view

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" 5K 1 TB ssd OS = Monterey 12.6.1
Hi

my Disk Utility is "stuck" in the SHOW ALL DEVICES view and won't toggle to the SHOW ONLY VOLUMES view.

It was ok earlier today but it has gone a bit funny now.

The recently rebuilt Time Machine desktop icon ( which was achieved after a great deal of patient advice from IWT and others ) is the generic orange one but again earlier today it was the green one.

The Time Machine icon is no big issue really but I was wondering if these two items could be linked.

I have included a screen shot ( I think )

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 2.58.30 pm.png
Cheers

Bernard

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bernard:

Something is not right about your setup, mainly your internal SSD. You should be showing two instances of your Macintosh HD under the Container Disk1:

"Macintosh HD"

"Macintosh HD - Data"

You're missing the "Macintosh HD - Data" entry.

The attached external hard drives are okay but something is amiss with your internal SSD.

Try rebooting and then go to Disk Utility again and see if you can show both views and that your "Macintosh HD - Data" shows up.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi I thought that the Macintosh HD DATA only came in with Catalonia. .
I am on Mojave..

Cheers

Bernard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ah, you're correct Bernard. I thought you were running Catalina. :)

Anyway, try the reboot to see if you can get out of the "show all devices".

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 6.08.39 pm.png

This is the screen shot with the SHOW ALL DEVICES option ticked .. It is the one above it SHOW ONLY VOLUMES that will not select.

Earlier today when I clicked on the show only volumes it worked fine and removed the headings per drive so that it just read:

Macintosh HD
H First Backup
G Drive with Thunderbolt
Time Machine 1

When you say REBOOT do you mean just switch off and back on again or is there some other way to do it that is known as a reboot?

Cheers

Bernard

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
HI Bernard,

Now that you have pushed me to research this:) , I find that although "Show Only Volumes" is shown on my iMac, clicking on it does nothing - macOS Mojave. You are on macOS Mojave also.

But it does "show only volumes" on my iMac running macOS High Sierra (and, I believe it does too on macOS Catalina).

So maybe, there's not a problem at all;D - or we both have the same one!!

Reboot simple means Restart. Click on the Apple icon, top menu bar, far Left and, from the dropdown, choose "Restart". I'd be very interested to know if that made any difference - I'm suspecting not??

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian

I will look at it in the morning.. I only mentioned it because earlier in the day after I had finally fixed the Time Machine issue , which I am grateful to you for helping and guiding me through, the Show Only Volumes selection did work fine... It's no big issue but because I know that it was OK with the Show Only Volumes working before It made me wonder. The Time Machine drive is spot on now , other than the green icon has reverted to the generic orange one.

This morning I could toggle the SHOW ONLY VOLUMES to see the following titles only:

The titles that I used to see this morning were..

Macintosh HD
H First Backup
G Drive with Thunderbolt
Time Machine 1

So I did at that point have the show only volumes option available to me.

Thanks again.

Bernard

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at my set up this morning and did a reboot and the SHOW ALL DEVICES is still the only option that I can get. I guess it's better being "stuck" in that view because at least I can see the devices with the volumes underneath them.

Cheers

Bernard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Bernard, just so you don't feel like the Lone Ranger on this, I just tried Disk Utility. My default is to Show All Devices, so I had not tried going back to the other option. I cannot do that, just like you. I hid, then reopened the sidebar, no change, stopped and started Disk Utility, no change. Nothing I do can get to any other view than Show All Devices.

Must be a bug in Disk Utility.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank goodness, Jake.

I reported the same thing in post #6.

I am still unable to get DU to change from Show All Devices - exactly like you on - macOS Mojave.

But I can on macOS High Sierra. And, yesterday, I was able to do so on my wife's MacBook Pro, also running macOS Mojave.

Bizarre. But much better that way than the opposite:)

So you're not to worry, Bernard.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree that it looks like a bug.. I will report it to Apple tomorrow and see how long ( if ever ) it takes to get a response...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You may not get a direct response. IIRC they generally don't do that even f they are actively working on fixing that bug. They do respond to situations where an individual user has been escalated through the support chain but not so much to bug reports.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will give it a try via support and bug report.. I expect it to work properly all of the time , after all it was ok the other day...... This worm is turning... but I do hear what you are saying..

Cheers

Bernard

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could perhaps try to see if the same problem occurs in safe mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Has anybody with the macOS High Sierra Disk Utility Show all devices issue, startup in safe mode? How about run DU from another drive?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never, including now, had any problem with DU on macOS High Sierra. Only macOS Mojave and only on my late 2019 iMac; it's okay on my wife's MacBook Pro 2017 running macOS Mojave.

Not losing any sleep over this:wink

Ian

krs

Reaction score
Just another input -
I'm running Mojave (10.14.6) on a late 2012 Mini on an external SSD and I have no problem switching back and forth between the All Devices and Volumes Only option.

I don't use Time Machine at all.

Has anyone who has the problem tried disconnecting the Time Machine drive to see if that makes any difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@krs, not sure what that would have to do with it, but yes, I tried disconnecting the TM drive and it made no difference. I'm still unable to change the view. Not a big deal for me, as I said, and it doesn't affect DU functionality, but it is curious behavior.

krs

Reaction score
@krs, not sure what that would have to do with it,

Seemed like a logical thing to try.
Bernard first post sounds as if he could change the view until he did something with TM.
Ian has two Macs running Mojave, one with the problem and one without.
Hard to imagine that this issue would be machine type related, actually can't be since for Bernard it used to work but no more - so what else has changed or is different that would cause this issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still unable to change the view. Not a big deal for me, as I said, and it doesn't affect DU functionality, but it is curious behavior.

Mine is the same as Jake's. I'm unable to change the view. I wonder if it is intentional when running Catalina?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.