Disk Utility can't fix HD, tells me to reformat.

Reaction score
While upgrading to Yosemite I received an alert that my HD was almost full, only 12gb left (out of 159gb). The disk is full of Other, whatever that may be. I ran CleanMyMac and deleted clutter, but it didn't help. I also received a message that I should run Disk Utility to repair the disk. Ended up restarting the computer, holding command R, and running repair. After a while, was told it couldn't repair the disk and I should run reformat. But, Yosemite loaded and appears to be running fine. Will reformatting solve this, or is it time for a new computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Is this your Macbook Pro 13"?? Regardless, you will need to free up some space. They recommend about 20% (30GB) free space for swapping. You have less than 8% free.

What year is the computer? Is it worth installing a larger hard drive? That would be my first choice - get a larger hard drive if your Macbook Pro is upgradeable. The new 2014's are not supposed to be.

As for CleanMyMac - get rid of it. That program causes more problems than it solves. Search this forum and you will find a lot of posts telling you that. It might even have caused the issue with your hard drive error.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yikes man…you REALLY got your computer jacked-up.:( You should have posted here first before doing that stuff.;)

Follow "iclev's" (Lisa) advice.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
To give really good recommendations we need to know more about your Mac. Which machine is it? How much memory is installed? Which OS was installed before you tried to install Yosemite?

First off be aware that reformatting the drive will wipe out all your data. If you go that route make sure that you have some type of backup for any important data. Having said that here are some thoughts on your situation:

1. Reformatting the drive may correct some problems but doesn't address an underlying issue. That drive is too full of stuff for the computer to function well. You either need to buy a larger drive or move more files to another drive.

2. You mentioned that much of the space is taken up by "Other" files. This could be any type of file that isn't recognized as one of certain groups (audio, movies, apps, etc.) It doesn't mean the files are corrupted just that they don't fit one of the pre-assigned categories. Be careful moving these without more information. Some important files can be in the "other" category.

Wait: Two people answered ahead of me. I really must type faster. lol

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa,

It's a mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 13", and it's working fine. Do you know what all the Other stuff is that's clogging up my drive? It seems like I should clean that up first. I don't really have much on the drive, a fair number of photos, but no videos, and only a little music.

Thank you for telling me about Cleanmymac. I read somewhere (CNet I think) that is worked well, but that was several years ago. I will read the comments on the forum.

Do I have to go to Apple to have a larger HD installed?

Mike

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For most laptop models you can use drives from a variety of manufacturers. Find your Mac in this list of installation videos to get an idea of the proper steps to take.

This is also a good place to look for replacement drives though there are others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks Lisa,

It's a mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 13", and it's working fine. Do you know what all the Other stuff is that's clogging up my drive? It seems like I should clean that up first. I don't really have much on the drive, a fair number of photos, but no videos, and only a little music.
… … ...
Mike

If you really need to, DiskWarrior can usually fix a volume that Disk Utility says it can't.

As for what's using all the HD space, lots of options like:
GrandPerspective
Disk Inventory X
DaisyDisk

OP
M
Reaction score
Nick, you are probably right, except that I didn't know I had a problem, so I only read other posts. The last time I checked it seemed like I had plenty of spare room, but maybe I don't really know what "plenty" is on a Mac. I would rather clean up this drive than buy a new one, if possible. Per Lisa's instructions I have uninstalled CleanMyMac. I will try to get some of the "other" files off, if I can find them (in Documents and iPhoto I suppose). Thanks for the quick help, I will spend a lot more time here, and ask more questions.

C

chas_m

Repeating from an earlier post: "Other" is simply any file that isn't one of the pre-identified categories. This isn't a PC, you don't have a lot of junk on your Mac unless you manually put a lot of junk on there, and what you really need to do is replace that hard drive as soon as possible or you are going to lose your files. For the love of all that's holy at least make sure you have complete backups, because we'll be seeing you again soon if you don't take the above advice.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have Time Machine backing up to an external drive so I should be okay. I guess deleting a bunch of photos wouldn't be enough to make much difference. But I really don't know where "junk" would come from, I don't think I did anything to put a lot of garbage on my HD.

C

chas_m

Then, as explained several times already, "other" isn't junk, it's just files that don't fit into the pre-defined formats of System, Pictures, Music etc. That's all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, junk was simply a poor choice of words. I understand what those Other files are. I have gone to OWC and asked them about their drives. Looking at their 240 gb Pro drive, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I am not mistaken the drives for that Mac are standard 2.5" SATA drives. You can probably find decent deals just about anywhere.

I've used several different brands over the years. The models having problems seem to fluctuate. Perhaps the rest of the guys can point out whether there are currently any brands to be avoided.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Slydude,

I was thinking of going to a faster drive, like this:

OWC
240GB Mercury Legacy Pro SSD 2.5″
IDE/ATA 9.5mm Solid State Drive.
The Fastest Drive Upgrade Available
For Yesterday's Macs and PCs.

But at $229 they are costly.

Your thoughts? I don't really do anything that requires great speed. I see that Amazon also has Mac drives available. This looks like a great deal from Amazon:

500GB New Sata 2.5" hard drive for Apple Macbook & Macbook pro
by Brand Name Manufacture
195 customer reviews | 83 answered questions
Price: $33.23 + $5.49 shipping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The OWC drive is an SSD and the Amazon drive is a regular mechanical hard drive. And while i order a lot from Amazon, who is Brand Name Manufacturer? I have never purchased from OWC but I have seen a lot of good posts about them and their customer service here.

I know of a lot of "brand name" manufacturers and I would not purchase from several of them. I like Western Digital and Crucial drives as examples.

That said, the SSD from OWC cost so much because it is a non-mechanical drive and it will smoke the drive from Amazon (although I have never used a Mercury Legacy Pro drive?). You want to bring new life to your 2009 - put in an SSD and you will be amazed. I have used Crucial SSD's and been pleased.

If money is an issue then go with the standard hard drive but be careful that you get a new reputable hard drive. Prices that are low might be a reconditioned drive and they don't always tell you that.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Good points Lisa, and I will probably go with the OWC. I am also considering buying a new Mac Mini and then reformatting the Macbook.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to go the SSD route and live in Canada, if that matters, they have an excellent deal for a Crutial 250GB SSD, less than $90.00:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BQ8RM1A/

Maybe the US site has a similar deal. ;)

No, I am not associated with them in any way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Now I need help with formatting whichever disk I buy. I have the original Lion recovery USB drive. I imagine I can format the new drive with Lion, then update to Yosemite, right? Otherwise I have to buy an 8gb usb drive and create a Yosemite boot drive, which seems like more work. Any suggestions?

I've narrowed my drive choices to two: the first from Amazon is about $80, but I'm not sure it will work with my Mac: Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD1. The second is from OWC and they assure me this is what I need: OWC 240GB Mercury Electra™ 3G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 7mm Solid State Drive, but it costs $134. Again, your thoughts please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.