Disk permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
So I was setting up my new Mini today, copying files and whatnot, but it seems to be having some difficulty with my external hard drive. It forces me to authenticate every single time I copy a file to the drive, or try to delete a file from it; it also tells me I don't have permission to rename any of the files. It even says I can't open some folders because I don't have permission to see their contents!

I formatted the drive into HFS+ before even plugging it into the Mini, so it's not a Windows/Mac thing. How do I change disk permissions? Is there a way to set it up so I don't have to type in my password for every trivial file operation?

And as a side note, is it worth shelling out the $30 for a Lion upgrade? I have an iPad, but from what I've heard, the iCloud integration into OS X is nothing much. I'm all set up with iOS 5 and ready to pull off a wi-fi sync. :D

C

chas_m

Lion is awesome. Well worth the money.

I'd reformat that drive, something doesn't sound right there. You can also simply select the mounted drive, get info on it, and check the box at the very bottom of the info display that says "ignore permissions."

OP
mknightretke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
Thanks, I tried the Get Info thing and basically every other workaround I could track down. When I went to change the permissions, it wouldn't let me do anything - I could unlock the permissions area and give everyone read/write access, but the second I clicked off, it would revert back to no priviliges. It also wouldn't let me add any other users, Disk Utility reported no errors on the disk, and changing permissions via the terminal had no effect.

I just made a second partition using Disk Utility and started copying all my files into it. The weird permissions don't seem to be copying over, so all may be well. I think the issue may be that I formatted this disk with MacDrive on Windows 7...?

OP
mknightretke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh, sorry! As I said, I've been awake for 40 hours and counting. The issue is all fixed now, and I've learned my lesson regarding MacDrive. Eeeevil!

C

chas_m

Glad you fixed it ... now GO TO BED! The human body is not designed to go without sleep that long, and it's VERY detrimental to your brain cells. And you'll need those later! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.