Disk Permissions: HELP!!

M

Mainyehc

Hey!
Ok, here it goes... I have my iMac 17'' 1,25GHz since December, and I've never checked my disk permissions. I know it's stupid, I should do it once every month, or every two weeks, or whatever. I'm doing it this very moment, and... guess what, they are ALL screwed up!!! Yes, every single one of them... It problably isn't something too serious, because my Mac only crashed twice, and in one of those crashes I had inserted some old weird PC backup disc, probably it was that thing that froze my system.
Anyway, the error in EVERY single permission in my Mac is this:
"should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- "
And no, I'm not exaggerating, they all have the same problem. I know what "r", "w" and "x" mean, I've used RedHat w/ Gnome in my old PeeCee for a month a few years ago, and even if I didn't use the terminal I understood how the filesystem worked... It seems that someone that shouldn't be able to write to those files has that permission... Heck! What can I do to correct this?
And there's more... Is there any chance that my system could get screwed up if I actually fixed them with the disk utility? It works fine the way it is...
Any thoughts on this subject? (btw, what should I do? ;) )
Oh, and btw, don't know if this is important... The original Software Backup disc had Jaguar in it, which I used for a few weeks, and then I upgraded to Panther with the disc that also came with the iMac. Can this problem have something to do with the upgrade?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have those permissions repaired sometimes as well....Do the full repair permissions then try it again to see the errors return
I don't think you have anything to be worried about

Did you upgrade to panther or do a clean install...If you upgraded that could cause problems...We always recommend that you do a clean install of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
trpnmonkey41 said:
Do the full repair permissions then try it again to see the errors return
I don't think you have anything to be worried about

I agree. After all, that's the whole point of the "Repair Permissions" feature. You shouldn't have any problems after you repair them. In fact, I'd be surprised if your machine didn't actually perform better.

OP
D

dtx3000

no worries about that...all its doing is telling you what wrong before fixing it...every time i fix permissions i get maybe 5 of them like that, tops
and it's always the wrong permissions on that system sound "submarine.aiff" weird! and when i play it it pops pretty loud at the end
oh well, its just a silly submarine

OP
M

Mainyehc

Oh... sh*t! Now I get it...

Ok... here's the problem... I've been fiddling with some of my apps... Yep, I'm using some haxies, incl. Metallifizer, and Safaricon, a small app for skinning Safari buttons (anyway, you must have already heard of it or even tried it)... Seems that the wrong permissions have to do with resource files...
"User differs on ./Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Download_Stop.tif, should be 0, owner is 501
Permissions differ on ./Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Download_Stop.tif, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- "
See? It has to do with that **** Safari buttons! What d'you reckon? Should I just put it all like it was, uninstall Safaricon and repair disk permissions? Or can I just keep using it, and specially, if I do so, will Safari be affected after repairing the permissions (i.e. everything reverting to the default button appearance?)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Al lot of the application that are installed on your system some times changes the file and directory permissions. That is why it is a good idea to run the disk utility to repair permission are installing or upgrading software.

You should not have a problem after running repair permissions. In most cases thing will work better, that is why you hear about it so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.