Disk doesn't unmount in Disk Utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
I periodically run First Aid on my external drives and one drive will not unmount so the procedure fails. But if I press the "unmount" button on the top of Disk Utility the volume unmounts and First Aid is indicted as "Successful". The problem area is the bottom line in the attached file, "OWC 2TB-Photos". Disk Utility can be used without issue on the two higher lines.
My question is, since Disk Utility still seems to indicate that all is ok if I manually unmount the volume, should I just keep going or is this a sign that the disk is failing?

Thanks.

Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 12.27.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 12.27.51 PM.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is the Photos app open when you attempt DU First Aid on the external?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To follow up on Bob's post, if Photos is running, the drive is in use and should not unmount. Make sure all applications that might be using the drive are fully quit.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
Thanks, I tried that and it worked. Funny thing is, I'm 99% sure I did the same the other day and it did not work. Maybe it's intermittent? If so, I'll be back. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks, I tried that and it worked. Funny thing is, I'm 99% sure I did the same the other day and it did not work. Maybe it's intermittent? If so, I'll be back. :)
Not intermittent. If the system thinks the drive is in use, it won't allow a regular unmount. Yes, you can "force" it, but it throws up lots of warnings about the havoc that can create.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.