Disappearing Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OS Sonoma 14.1.2
When clicking anywhere on the desktop image, all open windows in whichever apps are being used, disappear. Clicking on the desktop image again brings them back. No big thing, but how can I stop it happening?

A side-issue is the 'shrinking' desktop. If I wish to put the Mini to sleep after first quitting all apps, when clicking on the remaining desktop image, the whole area reduces slightly. Only following that will Sleep activate, otherwise the screen image roars back into life. Can this be changed, or is it just a part of the latest OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Open System Settings. Click on Desktop & Dock. Look for Desktop & Stage Manager and change Click Wallpaper to reveal desktop to Only in Stage Manager.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
+1 for what Bob said. It works.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
OS Sonoma 14.1.2
When clicking anywhere on the desktop image, all open windows in whichever apps are being used, disappear. Clicking on the desktop image again brings them back. No big thing, but how can I stop it happening?

A side-issue is the 'shrinking' desktop. If I wish to put the Mini to sleep after first quitting all apps, when clicking on the remaining desktop image, the whole area reduces slightly. Only following that will Sleep activate, otherwise the screen image roars back into life. Can this be changed, or is it just a part of the latest OS?
This new feature is something I like, making access to the desktop easy.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Desktop & Stage Manager and change Click Wallpaper to reveal desktop to Only in Stage Manager.

That did it, thank you.

Reaction score
I have same problem but when I click on system setting the system settings icon appears in the dock but nothing opens. MAC 2024 m3

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have same problem but when I click on system setting the system settings icon appears in the dock but nothing opens. MAC 2024 m3

Is the System Settings icon in the Dock all the time or only when you access it by clicking on the Apple icon  top left, and choosing System Settings?

If all the time, just click on the Dock icon; if not there permanently, click on the  & choose settings.

Then Click on Desktop & Dock. You will see this:

S1.jpg

As you scroll down, you will see Desktop & Stage Manager.

[Underneath this: "Show Items" should be ticked according to your wishes.]

NOW:

Below that: "Click wallpaper to reveal Desktop" - from the arrowheads, choose "Only in Stage Manager"

Problem solved! (y)

Ian

Reaction score
no it is not in the dock permanently it only appears when I click system settings the icon then appears in the dock and just sits there nothing else showing so I cannot scroll down as there is no list as you have shown

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no it is not in the dock permanently it only appears when I click system settings the icon then appears in the dock

That's correct. Having clicked on System Settings from ? It appears in the Dock. And then what do you do? Double Click on the Dock-System Settings in the Dock? That's what you should do, unless there are things you are not telling us about which prevent this. Sorry about all of this.

Ian

Reaction score
Done that IWT but nothing happens , just ran onyX and that seems to have cleared whatever the problem was

Reaction score
Open System Settings, navigate to Desktop & Dock, and find Desktop & Stage Manager. Within this section, change the setting "Click Wallpaper to reveal desktop" to "Only in Stage Manager.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open System Settings, navigate to Desktop & Dock, and find Desktop & Stage Manager. Within this section, change the setting "Click Wallpaper to reveal desktop" to "Only in Stage Manager.

As in Post #7. ;) ;)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.