Disappearing apps

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am using MacBook Pro Retina 13' since mid December 2014; OS is Yosemite. Yesterday evening I notice that VLC media player simply disappeared from my computer! Today morning Gopromote also disappeared (there is only questionmark sign on my dock)... I was searching the computer with spotlight search, but no result... Any idea...?

Thank you and regards from Zagreb

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to you in Zagreb.

May I just ask you to check whether these apps are in your Applications Folder because what's in your Dock is actually an alias (or shortcut) to the app and it might have become un-linked or corrupted in some way.

If they are not there, and were before, then I'm not certain how they came to be lost. Others may be able to help out here.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think the ? on the Dock indicates that the alias is broken, that is, the original cannot be found. Usually the only way an app disappears is if you physically drag the original to the Trash, use the app's uninstaller, or use a "third party" uninstaller. In other words, removing an app is a purposeful act; usually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.