Disabled access to 'click and drag' windows about.

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a Macbook for my disabled son for Christmas, and he love it!

My problem is, he has severe Cerebral Palsy, and uses a special switch board to replicate the mouse (seperate switches for U,D,L,R, r.click and l.click).

We bought an app called USB Overdrive, and it's brilliant for configuring the switches and buttons, but one problem remains.

He is unable to 'click and drag' windows around the screen using his switches - there was a setting on Windows (yes i know!) that enabled 'clicklock'.

My question is - is there ANYTHING out there that will enable my son to use clicklock on a mouse button (could be middle mouse button) to move his windows about?

I'm hoping there is someone in a similar position, or knows someone who has a solution to our problem.

Many thanks,

Stiggy

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Trackpad

This is in 10.6.2

20100203-tary91fb1294h5dt6i1jyu97ui.jpg

just friendly FYI: I have removed the duplicate thread. That is known as cross-posting and is not acceptable on most forums.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for relying - does this apply to the mouse though? My son only has access via usb mouse/switches.

*edit*

He is unable to hold down anything while pressing other switches - he can only use one switch at a time.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? - Do not use USB overdrive and do not currently have a mouse connected.

Can only recommend you open up System Preferences - Mouse and take a look at the options there.

I would also suggest installing the software for the particular mouse you are using if USB Overdrive does not have that option. You can also send an email to the USB Overdrive support- link.

edit: hang out a bit - may get a better answer later in the day

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi again Bob,
I've tried pretty much everything in the system prefs that I possibly can, and am in email exchange as we speak with the programmer of USB Overdrive.

It's one of those things that we're used in this house - I'm forever having to play around with settings to make life easier for my son as using his PC/Macbook is the only thing that he can do on his own, so profound is his disability.

The problem is only being able to use his left arm in gross movement, and not being able to hold any of his switches down - so you can imagine how long it takes him to do anything when he can only move the mouse one axis at a time!

I'll hang around as you say, mainly as this is my first entry into 'Macland', and I have so much to learn!

Thanks for your reply - even if you didn't have the solution, it's nice to know people out there care enough to give their time.

:D

OP
S
Reaction score
I was in contact with the guy who wrote USB Overdrive yesterday, and although the solution wasn't straight forward, between us we managed to get the click lock with one click of the mouse button working!

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.