Disable safari "frequently visited" search-bar bib in Yosemite

Reaction score
The new safari that comes with Yosemite has some odd behaviour. When I click on the search bar, a "frequently visited" menu slips down that reminds me of a bib.

This bib has two problems. First, it creates another thing to click out of when I enter a page address, so, an inconvenience. Second, and more problematic, it won't allow me to drag a website address into a folder in my favourites bar, because it covers up the bar itself, and the favourites folders it displays in the "bib" won't take new addresses.

I'd like to remove the bib. Please help.

M

MacInWin

The dropdown menu you called "bib" will disappear as soon as you hit the Return key after entering an address. You don't need to click away from it. And to drag an address to the favorites bar, just drag it to a spot you can see beside the dropdown menu, release it, the dropdown disappears and you can then move the new item on the Favorites bar where you want.

I don't think the dropdown can be disabled. But, on the General tab of Safari Preferences you can say what shows in Favorites and how many items Top Sites shows (6, 12, or 24). I tested what can be done and I created a Bookmarks folder named "EMPTY" then chose it to be displayed and the big list disappeared, but I still had the "Frequently visited" appear. I don't see any way to kill that part.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The drop-down menu doesn't disappear if you run a search from the address bar, rather than going straight to a website. So I do have to click out of it when running a search, at least on my mac.

Thanks for the suggested work-around. I found another as well: if you click and drag the "+" icon, it turns into the link for the website you're on and you can plop it in the favourites bar without invoking the drop-down menu.

M

MacInWin

Again, as soon as I hit the return key, the drop down disappears and the search takes place. I still don't see any need to click away that drop down. Yes, the drop down stays until you hit return, but the search also doesn't start until you hit return, either. Before you get search results back, the drop down is gone, no clicks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No idea. It's a very expensive Mac desktop, largest screen available w/all the bells & whistles!
I can't believe that 'I' actually found the solution!!!

I am so NOT tech-y it's not even funny. And, this 'bib' thing was driving me crazy too! Lol.

Here's how you GET RID OF THE BIB!
Go to:
Safari>Preferences>Search>and UNcheck "Show Favorites"!!
Ta-da! That's it, BIB gone!!!

I'm so proud of myself, lol! ;D

Let me know if it worked for y'all!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No idea. It's a very expensive Mac desktop, largest screen available w/all the bells & whistles!
Learn something every day! Good find, majaca!

Did it work for you, Jake?
And, how did you add the avatar picture by your username?
Thanks.

M

MacInWin

It did work. The avatar is set in your profile. I think you can get there by the top bar on the forum site. Don't know if you have to be a Premium Member (pay) to be able to change avatar or not, but give it a go. There is a size/format restriction, so read the profile directions.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you Majaca. Looks like it worked.

MacInWin - I swear I am not making this up, and yes, of course I pressed enter. On my system, when I hit "enter" on a search, and the Google page appears with results, the dropdown menu does not disappear. I don't know why this functionality would be different on our two computers, but apparently it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.