Digital thermal sensor on previous mac

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for adding me to this forum.
Our previous mac had fan and heating problems so this Owc in-line digital thermal sensor was fitted/installed by a mac technician which helped. (He is no longer available to contact)

We replaced our old mac earlier this year but the start up time is still really slow with our new one (i-mac Retina 4K 21 & half inch 2019) and we are concerned that the software for this previous fix was copied across to the new mac and is perhaps interfering with it...don't even know if that could be a thing!

Any advice on checking if this could be a problem - or alternative solutions/things to look for to speed up startup time.

Many thanks and apologies if this is the wrong board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The only OWC in-line thermal sensor I've ever seen is a hardware device that is added in line with the iMac's hard drive / SSD power connector when a non Apple drive is fitted. It adds the thermal sensor that the non Apple drive doesn't have to stop the fan/s running noisily at full speed. It is a hardware device and no software is required for it, so its installation in your previous iMac wouldn't be the cause of your slow boot. If your previous iMac had it's hard drive replaced by a non Apple drive its fans would have been very noisy, so that would likely have been why a technician fitted the thermal sensor.

Older 21.5" iMac's do suffer from slow hard drives, some taking over 5 minutes to boot then beach balling, replacing the drive with an SSD makes all the difference. Most are sold with a slow 2.5" 5400 rpm drive fitted. If your iMac is still under warranty I would contact Apple.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, it was a genuine mac part fitted and I think the device was mac approved. However it is good to know that there would have been no software associated with it that would have copied over to the new computer. We will try ringing support as it is still under warrenty.
Thank you

The only OWC in-line thermal sensor I've ever seen is a hardware device that is added in line with the iMac's hard drive / SSD power connector when a non Apple drive is fitted. It adds the thermal sensor that the non Apple drive doesn't have to stop the fan/s running noisily at full speed. It is a hardware device and no software is required for it, so its installation in your previous iMac wouldn't be the cause of your slow boot. If your previous iMac had it's hard drive replaced by a non Apple drive its fans would have been very noisy, so that would likely have been why a technician fitted the thermal sensor.

Older 21.5" iMac's do suffer from slow hard drives, some taking over 5 minutes to boot then beach balling, replacing the drive with an SSD makes all the difference. Most are sold with a slow 2.5" 5400 rpm drive fitted. If your iMac is still under warranty I would contact Apple.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What techiesteve mentioned is right on the mark. Very unlikely that the previous sensor install on your older Mac has anything to do with the current slowness issue.

Regarding the current slowness issue. Since the iMac is still under warranty...you could definitely pursue that route to investigate things. If you decide to pursue things further on your own...we would need more info so we can better understand the situation (how you got to where you are at this point).

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks Nick...will see what warranty people say...assuming we can get through to them!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick...will see what warranty people say...assuming we can get through to them!

Not sure where you're located...but all Apple Stores in the US are closed (where many folks would go for an Apple diagnosis/troubleshooting). If you're located where Apple retail stores are closed...Apple may have you ship your computer to them for examination.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks I am in UK...will wait until the end of the pandemic probably..its not as if it isn't working.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks I am in UK...will wait until the end of the pandemic probably..its not as if it isn't working.

Your choice, obviously.

I would just say that I very recently phoned the Apple people here on their AppleCare line, was through to a human almost instantly and they talked me through a simple solution to my problem. The "problem" actually being me!!

So they were/are still available to speak with and advise.

Good luck whatever you do.:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What type of drive is in the new iMac?

If it is the slow as treacle 5400rpm laptop drive, you should have got a model with an SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What type of drive is in the new iMac?

If it is the slow as treacle 5400rpm laptop drive, you should have got a model with an SSD.

Is there a way to find out the drive speed (rpm), without disassembling the Mac?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is there a way to find out the drive speed (rpm), without disassembling the Mac?

Use the "System Information" list for the HDD drive model installed, then use a Google search for its specs and rotation speed.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Thanks IWT will try after the Bank Holiday.

Initially speak to Apple. If they confirm you have a hardware fault they may recommend an AASP Amsys collect, repair and return. They use a courier. As far as I'm aware all AASP's have closed their doors to walk in customers. Amsys have been undertaking on-site repairs (collect, repair and return) for a long time, but will likely charge if they find a no fault found.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.