Difference between iPhone SE and iPhone 5s?

Reaction score
Hi guys! I know you've head this question a lot of times, but pleae help me make up my mind. I have two options:
1. I take my sister's iPhone 5S and hand over my Nexus 5
2. I buy iPhone SE for $49

Now you guys tell me that is iPhone SE worth spending that money or should I just take my sister's deal?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Spend the $49 for the SE! An SE performance-wise is comparable to an iPhone 6.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Who's offering an SE for $49???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who's offering an SE for $49???

Sprint & Verizon cell carriers here in the US. Plus of course a 2 year contract…and lots of other fine print!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Sprint & Verizon cell carriers here in the US. Plus of course a 2 year contract…and lots of other fine print!;)

- Nick

Yep - that 2-year contract pays off the 'real' cost of the phone - wife has an iPhone 6 on Verizon - just finished an online chat w/ them adding a 64 GB iPhone SE for myself as a 'shared' plan - summary below - basically, would be given the phone (summary below) and would be paying about $20 more/month for the 2-year contract which would drop to $90/month w/ continuation. Dave :)

P.S. @ the OP - get the SE w/ 64 GB - my 2 cents!

Thanks Jamie - let me summarize, if I go to the Verizon store, I can get the 64 GB SE on a shared plan for $110+/month - once the phone is 'paid off' our shared plan would reduce to $90/month - how many months?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Ah, up front payment and a contract. I prefer to buy a phone and get a SIM only deal. Current package is 2gb, 200 minutes talk (landlines and mobiles), unlimited texts, international roaming and calls home from abroad - £11 per month which is about $15, cheap as chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, up front payment and a contract. I prefer to buy a phone and get a SIM only deal. Current package is 2gb, 200 minutes talk (landlines and mobiles), unlimited texts, international roaming and calls home from abroad - £11 per month which is about $15, cheap as chips.

Not to 'hijack' the thread, but Sue's comment above is also one that I've been thinking about before committing to a 'contract' - Verizon is my main choice in my area, especially w/ my wife already under contract - now my three choices for that carrier in obtaining a 64 GB iPhone SE would be a purchase of an: 1) unlocked iPhone from Apple or other seller and obtaining a SIM card from Verizon; 2) iPhone w/ a Verizon SIM card; or 3) Going w/ the plan described previously, i.e. buying the phone from Verizon? Of course the other issue is adding a warranty, i.e. AppleCare vs. Verizon's insurance policies.

SO, what do the folks here prefer, i.e. buy the phone separately or just get the whole package from a cellular provider? Thanks - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can purchase the phone from Verizon and then purchase Apple Care + from Apple. I don't know what Verizon's policy covers or costs but Apple Care + for an iPhone SE would be $99. The cost is higher for an iPhone 6s or 6s+ ($129.00).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it worth having insurance on a phone when most of them don't cover the likely needs - water or screen? My cousin is still paying £23 a month on a 2-year-contract for a phone which won't charge. Company (Virgin in UK) won't consider any repair because it has a cracked screen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple now has what's called "Applecare+". For an iPhone it costs $99 (US)…and covers up to two accidental incidents. The catch is there's a fee for each incident of $79 for iPhone 6 and older…and $99 for iPhone 6+. But I think that if a new phone is needed (depending on the situation)…you get a replacement phone.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

- Nick

p.s. I think that Applecare+ started around Late 2011.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The SE has same A9 SOC as the 6s and graphics are same as 6s. 4" Retina display, same 13MP Camera as the 6s. It's basically a 4" 6s in a body that is like the 5s. It's so much faster and better performing than any 5s could ever be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple now has what's called "Applecare+". For an iPhone it costs $99 (US)…and covers up to two accidental incidents. The catch is there's a fee for each incident of $79 for iPhone 6 and older…and $99 for iPhone 6+. But I think that if a new phone is needed (depending on the situation)…you get a replacement phone.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

- Nick

p.s. I think that Applecare+ started around Late 2011.

Well, if I do obtain an iPhone SE, Verizon offers an assortment of 'insurance policies' but tend to be twice as much as the Apple ones quoted above - did buy a plan for my wife's iPhone 6 but cannot remember the details at the moment - now, these more costly Verizon plans do provide more extensive coverage, so like flipping a coin, i.e. want more protection, then pay more? Dave :)

Reaction score
The SE has same A9 SOC as the 6s and graphics are same as 6s. 4" Retina display, same 13MP Camera as the 6s. It's basically a 4" 6s in a body that is like the 5s. It's so much faster and better performing than any 5s could ever be.
It's missing the force press/3D touch thing, but otherwise yeah, it's basically a 6s crammed into a 5s chassis.

I just upgraded from a 5s to a 6s. I did give the SE some serious thought, since it's pretty cheap and I like the form factor. However, I have a feeling more and more apps are going to be designed to favor the bigger screens, and the 6s still fits in my anti-theft* holster just barely. I'm still getting used to the different button layout.

*-Blackberry-branded cuz come on who's gonna steal a Blackberry?

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks! You guys helped making up my mind! So I guess making an account on this forum wasn't a waste of time! :) I'll be buying the new iPhone SE. Cheers! No deal sis!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it worth having insurance on a phone when most of them don't cover the likely needs - water or screen? My cousin is still paying £23 a month on a 2-year-contract for a phone which won't charge. Company (Virgin in UK) won't consider any repair because it has a cracked screen.

Hi Sue - well, like AppleCare w/ my Macs & i-Devices, I would certainly purchase some type of plan w/ a phone - we have one on my wife's iPhone 6 - if I get an iPhone SE, I'me looking at the Verizon plan shown below - $11/month but the 'comprehensive coverage' includes "..... a protection solution for devices that are lost, stolen, damaged (including water damage), or experience a post-warranty defect." Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.19.24 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! You guys helped making up my mind! So I guess making an account on this forum wasn't a waste of time! :) I'll be buying the new iPhone SE. Cheers! No deal sis!

Good choice - remember, go w/ the 64 GB device - I'm planning to put 20 GBs+ of music on the device immediately and you never know 'how many' pics you will be taking? Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All potential buyers of the iPhone SE, read this first: LINK

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Saw a few articles talking about the SE not being as durable as previous models (bending). Definitely something to be aware of before buying.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All potential buyers of the iPhone SE, read this first: LINK

Hi Chscag - thanks for the link - NOW, how can I get a job like that! ;) In my teens back in Michigan, M-80s & cherry bombs were some of our explosive toys - fortunately, we all came out of that era unharmed! :)

For myself, I would not be concerned about the bending/cracking tests - no plans to put in my back pocket - the water submersion tests are a concern but again how likely (plus, insurance could cover a replacement) - and hopefully, I would not be dropping the device from 10 ft multiple times - obviously these are extreme tests of dubious importance - but just my 2 cents - don't really want a phone the size of my wife's iPhone 6, and I would likely buy a more protective case and hopefully take care, but who knows what may happen?

As to our OP, she was considering the iPhone 5S, so would be curious how that model would do vs. the CE in the same tests? I'll wait a while before making a decision to see what other reviews, tests, etc. emerge. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.