• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Didn't see the link?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Does anyone think that these forums display of url's as the title of the page rather than https://www............causes people to miss them? For example, Can't Read External Thumb Drive where the OP obviously missed the link the Jake provided until he was told again.
If people don't hover over the words they may not realise it is a link at all.

Just wondering? Could they be in a different colour perhapes?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I get round that by just giving the exact url which the software translates into something anyone can understand.

Her for example:

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Rod,

Well at least everyone can see that; as opposed to some who say such and such can be found here, where “here” is the actual link.

What I do is use Google, say, to research “how to force restart iPhone 11 Pro”. Up comes a selection of options. I click on several till I find what I think is the most suitable.

When I find the most suitable, I open it , read or glance at it then put my cursor in the URL thing at the top, make sure that the entire url is highlighted, then Command Copy it.

Go down to where it want this to be and Command V to paste it there.

When I finally “Post Reply” it converts into what you see above in my last post With a faint line surrounding it. Sometimes, if it’s an unusual site, it may just show the entire url. I did this for this thread I’m posting to:

Now let’s see how that comes out.

Ian

EDIT: it does the same with line round it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's never done that for me, and I follow exactly the same process as you, except that I don't use Google to search. I use DDG, but other than that, I copy the exact URL and all that shows up is one line in red, barely discernible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Her for example:

I tend to agree with Rod, and have often wondered the same thing myself, and especially for those fairly new to listservs, the links do not always appear to be clickable.

Your example for example just shows the subject in red text, which may not be very obvious to some that it is a clickable link.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's never done that for me, and I follow exactly the same process as you, except that I don't use Google to search. I use DDG, but other than that, I copy the exact URL and all that shows up is one line in red, barely discernible.
Ian's process works with DDG. I use it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me see if this expands or stays one line: Can't Read External Thumb Drive

I used Cmd-C/Cmd-V for copy/paste

EDIT: and as you can see, no expansion. So it's not consistent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trying this thread, so no change of anything, straight copy/paste from the URL line: Didn't see the link?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It must be on a need-to-know basis and Sly and I have the gift. Wait a minute, I hear a lot of laughter in the background………

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, what was "that" which worked?

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tend to agree with Rod, and have often wondered the same thing myself, and especially for those fairly new to listservs, the links do not always appear to be clickable.

Your example for example just shows the subject in red text, which may not be very obvious to some that it is a clickable link.

- Patrick
=======
Not on any of my devices, in MF Dark they don’t appear in red text. See below:
PS. I can’t use Cmd-C, Cmd-V on my iPhone or iPad so that doesn’t help.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bottom line here is using Brave displayed in MF Dark tap and hold on the URL results in a “Copy Link?” bubble on both iPhone and iPad. Confirming that and tapping in my line of text produces the below:
Didn't see the link?
Which appears as a full URL to me in my post (now) until I post it at which point it changes to a sentence.

Addit: As you can see it now appears as a sentence but it was the full URL when I pressed Send Reply.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a try with Safari. Didn't see the link?
Addit: As you can see it’s the same sentence BUT the link is a different colour to the rest of the text to me. In this case instead of white on black it’s grey on black (to me).

Addit: But after I post it it’s the same colour as the rest of the text. Interesting how many different behaviours different people observe on their devices.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TEST ONLY

What I did here was on my iPad. I want to the url, tapped on it. First option is “Copy”.

Then underneath, on a blank area I hard pressed and one option was “Paste”. Chose that, then Reply.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, that is exactly what I do, but on a MBP. Go to the URL, right click on it, then "Copy" and move to the post and then right click and select paste. Shows the full URL until I click Post Reply, at which time it changes to one sentence.

EDIT: Except this time it showed the bigger box. Randomness. I do note that the URL is now preceded by "URL unfurl="true" and then the https address. Maybe it's the "unfurl?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/didnt-see-the-link.372240/#post-1909898

Same link, just pasted in, then edited after posting to change "true" to "false." The link is now the full URL, but also is a link (in red).

For the MODS, red is a very unfriendly color for colorblind folks. Red/Green colorblindness is the most common variety. Maybe instead of color to indicate a link, you could change font to BOLD and maybe a different FONT altogether?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Yes please Randy, another member here would also like to know... ;)

I was afraid that people would ask. The problem is that if I just post the code, it won't show up as code.

Let me see if I can explain it verbally.

open bracket, "URL", space, equal sign, quote sign, "true", quote sign, close bracket, insert URL, open bracket, "/URL", close bracket

things in quotes above are typed exactly, don't type the quotes

"insert URL" is the URL that you want to show up.

Example:

http://www.macattorney.com/free.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.