Did they switch the watch side bitton and the digital crown functions just because they could?

Reaction score
The reversal makes years of finer motion memory useless. I think somebody is chuckling everytime any of us thinks we will get the apps, ot the control center and gets the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes! Someone woke up at Apple one day and said, "Let's mess with the functions of the digital crown and side button around to drive people crazy!"

I use my watch to swim. I normally wear glasses which I can not do when swimming. The first time I finished my workout I found out not only were the dIgital crown and button functions changed but the workout screen for stoping my swim had changed. I had the screen taps memorized. My first workout after the changes left me wondering if I had hit the right prompts to end the workout.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As I already posted on Lisa's original iOS 17 update, here is a link to a very handy article with a map of the new (changed) functions;
Must take a screen shot of this;)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Here we go, still worth reading the linked article above Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 9.08.41 am.png but here is the "map" of the current functions;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Oh yeah! I saw the diagram map - now try to remember what is what when you are half blind, no glasses and just got done swimming laps..... My little fingers had to be reprogramed!!! o_O

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha, at least you've got little fingers. Luckily I don't do laps but I'm sure there are lots of other functions that these changes will effect requiring a bit of relearning for some.

My guess is that the watch face was getting a bit crowded with the swipe up for Control Centre movement which did used to annoy me a little. Typically I have Timer bottom left, Water Tracker bottom right and regularly use Control Centre for Focus, find my iPhone alarm and Swimming settings. The problem was swiping up regularly opened one of the two bottom complications, maybe because my fingers are too big. This then meant pressing the Crown to go back to try again.
Now with Control Centre on the side button this no longer happens. Now the swipe up is for Notifications which I rarely use on the watch.

So, I guess the changes will suit some and not others depending on how you use the watch.

Reaction score
Yes! Someone woke up at Apple one day and said, "Let's mess with the functions of the digital crown and side button around to drive people crazy!"

I use my watch to swim. I normally wear glasses which I can not do when swimming. The first time I finished my workout I found out not only were the dIgital crown and button functions changed but the workout screen for stoping my swim had changed. I had the screen taps memorized. My first workout after the changes left me wondering if I had hit the right prompts to end the workout.

Lisa
And what is up with the white borders? On some watch screens? Also, the list that replaces the dock is purposely smaller? Why? Apple-why?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.