Did Apple really do that (new iPhones)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
As some of you may have seen from my postings I have been looking for a new iPhone for my wife. First it was a refurbished 256GB iPhone 8 Plus, because she did not want to lose the Home Button, but after seeing one of the iPhone 12 Pro Max phones at the local T-Mobile store she thought that perhaps that was not so bad. So, cleverly (I thought) I waited for the iPhone 13 announcement thinking that perhaps the iPhone 12 prices might drop. Just possibly.

Well, after the announcement I went to the Apple iPhone page and there are no more iPhone 12 Pros listed for sale. iPhone 12 - yes, iPhone 12 Pro - no. Search for iPhone 12 Pro Max and the link takes you to the iPhone 13 Pro Max page. So, apparently no iPhone 12 Pro or Pro Max available from the Apple store.

So much for being clever. On the other hand they apparently did not increase the price of the 13, so there is that.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So much for being clever. On the other hand they apparently did not increase the price of the 13, so there is that.

Nice upgrade at the same price. However, I'm sure that there are still lots of iPhone 12 Pro Max units available at Apple and also at any T-Mobile store. According to what I've read about the 13, it's a nice upgrade over the 12.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice upgrade at the same price. However, I'm sure that there are still lots of iPhone 12 Pro Max units available at Apple and also at any T-Mobile store. According to what I've read about the 13, it's a nice upgrade over the 12.

Yes, but it was surprising since I don't ever remember Apple doing that before.

You can by a 12 or 12 mini, but you no longer buy a 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max from the Apple webpage since they are no longer displayed and so I am not sure how you could actually get one from Apple. Perhaps if you call, but if they are not available on the webpage I am not sure Apple would even sell them anymore. And of course the 13 is not yet available so there are no Pro or Pro Max available for either the 12 or 13 right now from Apple.

I think that the phone stores still have the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max but when I checked there T-Mobile webpage today they have not reduced the price. I should also check BestBuy and Costco.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Of course it is. I got one of the 12 series phones less than a year ago.:cry

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course it is. I got one of the 12 series phones less than a year ago.:cry

Yeah. That happens to me all the time. Part of my investment strategy - buy high, sell low.

As it turns out the Apple Store does have some 12 Pro Max models and they have knocked $100 off of them, although the guy said that they are moving fast.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As it turns out the Apple Store does have some 12 Pro Max models and they have knocked $100 off of them, although the guy said that they are moving fast.

Don't wait unless you're positive you can get one cheaper elsewhere. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yeah. That happens to me all the time. Part of my investment strategy - buy high, sell low.
I think we must have the same investment advisor. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, but it was surprising since I don't ever remember Apple doing that before.

I don't watch iPhones as much as computers...but Apple does this all the time with computers. Many times as soon as a new model iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air. etc is announced...the previous stuff is removed & the new stuff appears.

What actually happens is...if Apple has an "Event" (like yesterday's iPhone event). The previous models will still be available for sale up until the beginning of the event...then the Apple website will go "dark" for any web pages relating to new models (you'll get a message like "we'll be right back" or "site is being updated" or "stay tuned for something exciting")...etc.

Then when the event is over...new web pages with the newly announced models will appear (and the old stuff is instantly gone). Apple doesn't mess around...it's been like this for a long time.

I should also check BestBuy and Costco.

Exactly. There will still be lots & lots of the previous models (iPhone 12's in this case)...still in the "pipe"...for example:

* Best Buy
* Costco
* eBay
* Amazon
* B&H Photo
* Micro Center
* Mac Sales
* and lots more

Basically got to check everywhere (except Apple). Pretty much any retail outlet that was selling iPhone 12's before the September 14th, 2021 iPhone event...will still be selling them now (except Apple).

Also...what a smart-shopper could be doing (if not in a hurry)...is watching the Apple Refurbished area. iPhone 12 models most likely will start showing up there (nothing there at the moment). Usually can save 15% or more...and refurb's are just like new & have same warranty.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread moved to better area (iPhone hardware). Please post in best-fit topic area (originally posted in "General").

Thanks,

Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Then when the event is over...new web pages with the newly announced models will appear (and the old stuff is instantly gone). Apple doesn't mess around...it's been like this for a long time.

That is often the case. However, as of today, with iPhone 13 ready for pre-ordering, several previous iPhones are still available on The UK Apple Store website.

S1.jpg
And it's only about 3-6 months since the iPhone X was still on offer.

This may vary from Country to Country of course.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is often the case. However, as of today, with iPhone 13 ready for pre-ordering, several previous iPhones are still available on The UK Apple Store website.

This may vary from Country to Country of course.

Very true. Could be different rules in different countries as well.

Plus sometimes new products (depending on supply of new products)...can take longer to roll out to the whole planet...and it would make sense to continue selling previous models longer in some countries.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The 12 is on the US Apple store, but the 12 Pro Max is not available. I suspect Apple is just simply out of them. Stores like Best Buy may have some, and they may be in the Apple Stores, but not online.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 12 is on the US Apple store, but the 12 Pro Max is not available. I suspect Apple is just simply out of them. Stores like Best Buy may have some, and they may be in the Apple Stores, but not online.

Yes. That is how it actually is.

I spoke with Apple yesterday and today and they are just not selling the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max, but are selling the 12 and the 12 Mini. The local Apple Store did have some 12 Pro Max phones available as of yesterday evening and I will call them when they open to order one. If they don't have those anymore (I suspect they will) the 13s are supposed to be at the store on the 24th.

In terms of economics I suppose buying a 13 Pro Max would be smarter, given that it will be worth more in a couple of years, but there is no real difference between the 12 Pro Max and the 13 Pro Max that matters to my wife, so if I can I will save $100. She doesn't care because what she wants is the large screen size.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In terms of economics I suppose buying a 13 Pro Max would be smarter, given that it will be worth more in a couple of years...

When it comes to electronics...there's also another way of looking at things. Higher end or top end models tend to cost more (dollars/storage amount, dollars/speed, dollars/display area, etc)...compared to low-end & mid-range models. Higher end models also tend to lose value faster (actual dollars)...versus lower cost models.

For example...let's say in the first year every model loses 25% of its original value. 25% of a larger number means more real-dollar loss (due to depreciation):

$1000 x .25 = $250
$750 x .25 = $187.50
$500 x .25 = $125

Of course in the real world. Happy Wife = Happy Life!:)

- nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I currently have a 12 Pro Max. I have ordered the 13 Pro which should be delivered on the 24th. I went with the 13 Pro because of size. I have small hands with a bit of arthritis in them. I had the 12 Pro but I gave it to my husband and then got the 12 Pro Max. I regretted it when I realized it is too much for my hands now. In the past I always got the max size but lately I have found it is hard to manipulate the larger size one handed. Getting older is not for sissies!

On a side note - I traded in to Apple my husband's old iPhone 11 with 64gb. They gave me a nice trade in price - and I checked all the usual places to sell including one I had used before. Apple offered the most. I will keep the 12 Pro Max for a backup.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.