Dictation bug in Yosemite OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.33Ghz 6-core, and 16GB RAM
Hi Folks... I have OS X 10.10.1 and with my installation, during the login screen at startup, Dictation is automatically turned on. I have gone thru the System Preferences, but everything is off there and nothing is in the Login Items, etc.
Has anyone else seen this bug? Is there something I'm missing that should be turned off?

Thanks.
Paras.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you checked System Preferences, Accessibility, Dictation, Dictation & Speech Preferences, to make sure that none of the dictation options have been selected?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes... all Dictation options are turned off.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any thoughts? I should clarify... I believe it's VoiceOver that is automatically on during the log-in screen. entering the password and getting into the computer, VoiceOver is no longer on. Going thru Dictation and Speech, everything is off. Going thru the VoiceOver Utility, everything is off and there is no option selected that I can see where it should be enabled during the boot-up sequence. Login Items, there is nothing there, either.

This problem is only on running 10.10.1 my Mac Pro 5,1... I am running 10.10.1 on my Macbook Pro with no problems like this, so it seems something has been switched on somehow, but I cannot see what.

Thanks.
Paras.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let me try again...

- I press the power button on the MacPro
- Computer starts to boot up and comes to the log-on screen where I am asked to enter my Login ID and Password
- VoiceOver begins talking saying that my cursor is in a secure text field and will not dictate letters that I may type in this field. I have not yet touched the computer - the Login ID field remains blank and the cursor is located in the Password text field.
- I click on the Login ID field, enter my Login ID - VoiceOver dictates each letter as I press them
- I click Tab to the Password field
- I enter the Password - VoiceOver says that it cannot dictate letters entered in the current secure text field
- I press Enter and the computer boots up into Yosemite without a problem. The computer runs normal from this point on, with no VoiceOver.

I don't want this VoiceOver to be on and speaking to me at the Login screen. I have checked System Preferences including the VoiceOver Utility, the Dictation Utility, and the Login Item under the Accounts Utility. Any and all options for VoiceOver to be active during the Login screen (or otherwise) are off; yet, the VoiceOver continues to be on during the Login screen, per above.

Thank you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am wrong... you are correct, good Sir. Problem Solved.

Thank you, Dennis!

Paras.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are very welcome! Many miss that panel and setting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.