DHCP IP Switcharoo mystery

M

MyklR

Hi 1st post here...was wondering if anyone ran into this.

Okay, so I've convinced 2 friends of mine to both switch to Mac @ the same time. They both picked eMacs, a great entry-level machine. They are now both experiencing the same problem at the same time. The IP address under DHCP have now switched to 192 (router IPs, but they don't have routers) and then after hanging @ 192 for a couple of seconds, they switch to 169. I've tried resetting their IPs in Network Port Configuration, as well as clicking to acquire new DHCP leases, this didn't seem to fix the problem. After this the IPs blank out and go straight to 169s (but sometimes start out with 192s as well). I've ran the Hardware Test to make sure the NIC was fine, and no errors came up. Both have already replaced their cable modems from the ISPs and the problem still persists. The ISP wasn't of much help, seeing as all call centers are either in foreign countries now or manned by people that don't know Apples. Both modems were acting normal, all the lights lighting up where they should.

Has anyone ran into this? Both eMacs are running 10.3. This is rather frustrating. Thanks for any help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you can get both eMac up to 10.3.3 if you can. If I remember correctly one of the updates had some adjust to the networking subsystem. I hope this resolves your problem.

I am assuming that you can get Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.3 for them.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Don't forget to run repair permissions berfore and after the upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.