• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

DetectX - website down, may be dead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey guys, so for a few days now at least, the website for DetectX has gone dark. I get an error that the server cannot be found. I don't know if this is a temporary thing, or if the developer has permanently closed shop. If the latter, I don't know what this means for DetectX being a viable recommendation going forward.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The domain is registered, but it doesn't resolve anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hey guys, so for a few days now at least, the website for DetectX has gone dark.

And still that way for me, bummer:
This site can’t be reached
sqwarq.com’s server IP address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Hey guys, so for a few days now at least, the website for DetectX has gone dark. I get an error that the server cannot be found. I don't know if this is a temporary thing, or if the developer has permanently closed shop. If the latter, I don't know what this means for DetectX being a viable recommendation going forward.

Yes, it's been down for a while now. I haven't heard anything from or about the developer.

Apparently it's not easy to go on forever offering free software with no source of income attached to it. Go figure?

I'd guess that the program will continue to run fine until a future version of the Mac OS breaks it. It should continue to be just as effective at dealing with known adware, but it won't be updated to deal with new adware.

The good news is that Apple has been depreciating extensions and doing other things to make adware harder to effectively write. I've noticed a huge drop in reported adware in the last year. So the need for updates to DetectX may not be there.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it's been down for a while now. I haven't heard anything from or about the developer.

Apparently it's not easy to go on forever offering free software with no source of income attached to it. Go figure?

No doubt. One could pay to register, but I think it was voluntary. I actually did so myself because I really appreciate its features, and I'm historically very stingy in this regard! But I've been concerned the writing was on the wall for some time now due to there having been little in the way of updates on the website. At least the app is a Universal binary now. Interestingly, when I have the app check for updates, it tells me I have the latest version. You'd think I'd get a connection error, but nope. It makes me think things are still alive somewhere.

I'd guess that the program will continue to run fine until a future version of the Mac OS breaks it. It should continue to be just as effective at dealing with known adware, but it won't be updated to deal with new adware.

The good news is that Apple has been depreciating extensions and doing other things to make adware harder to effectively write. I've noticed a huge drop in reported adware in the last year. So the need for updates to DetectX may not be there.

Agreed. What I find most valuable here is the feature to monitor the Launch folders. Any malware that could sneak in has to do something with this to be able to load up on startup and do their jobs. So even with unknown adware, I can still get a heads-up if something sneaks in. Thankfully, there is an alternative from Objective-See that appears to be comparable in this regard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MacBook Pro 16/1000 GB Sonoma ; 2017 Intel MacBook Air 8/256 GB Monterey
Has anyone any new updates on the status of Detect X Swift? I’m using BlockBlock now but I’ve noticed this site is still alive but with no recent updates.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone any new updates on the status of Detect X Swift? I’m using BlockBlock now but I’ve noticed this site is still alive but with no recent updates.

Since switching to BlockBlock, I've found it catches more changes to launch locations that DetectX ever did. Not recommended anymore by moi (oooh... I need to fix my signature!).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Addit: If you are considering uninstalling DetectX Swift as I am you may run into the same issue I did. I have the pdf User Manual and it shows:
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 9.34.56 am.png

Problem being that the Menu item pictured "Uninstall" does not exist. It appears that AppCleaner will remove all elements of the app except a "purchased license key" as noted above.
To do this instructions are provided on page 26 of the user guide (Advanced) pictured below.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 10.06.31 am.png

Reaction score
As of last month, the developer said that "big things are coming for DetectX Swift!" in his blog. I hope that he didn't mean that it was going to be ash-canned! So, it's worth keeping an eye on. But for now, for folks looking for a nice free product that can detect and removed adware, I'm recommending:

EtreCheckPro (free; additional features available for a fee)
https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html
(Helps you track down the cause of serious problems on your Mac. Can also remove annoying adware.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.