Desktop files gone, top bar missing.

Reaction score
Hello,

All the files on my desktop have disappeared, the grey bar that is usually at the top of the screen only appears while I'm on the internet, and I cannot open Finder whatsoever.

On top of all of this, if I try to go into my applications (through the icon on the bottom bar, which has not disappeared), it won't let me open Time Machine either.

Does anyone know what may have happened?

I was watching an episode of Downton Abbey online when my computer froze. I force shut it, and when I turned it back on, all my files were gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What's your OS version?

It might help to dump your Desktop plist file.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you say "all my files were gone," do you mean that they've actually disappeared or just won't show up? What application prompts the menubar to show up? What version of OS X are you using?

OP
N
Reaction score
I am using version 10.6.8. The toolbar shows up when any of my applications at the bottom of the screen is used, although the App store, when opened, says "Unable to find and connect to the agent".

And as for the files, my desktop is completely blank besides my app bar at the bottom. I tried to open Finder to allow me to still access my files, but it won't open whatsoever. I don't know if all my files are permanently gone, or just hidden somewhere inaccessible, I honestly don't know.

Reaction score
Can you run any app? What I mean is do you have Applications folder in the Dock and get to any app?
If so, click on Utilities and run Terminal. When it starts, type in ls (that's a small L). You should get a list of files and folders.
If your files are still there then it's a display problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, if you can see anything, Finder is running. So, what do you see?

If you can't open a Finder window and navigate through folders, it will not be easy to try my suggestion above. Someone might know the Terminal equivalent.

OP
N
Reaction score
Doing many things I've never done on my computer before today!

When I type in ls on the terminal, a few things come up. It says

ActiveGSLocalData - Pictures
Applications - Public
Desktop - Sites
Documents - jagex_cl_runescape_LIVE.dat
Downloads - jagexappletviewer.preferences
Library - jagexcache
Movies - random.dat
Music - tmp

Another thing that I've just noticed is I've lost the ability to copy and paste any text...

OP
N
Reaction score
Also, even when the Toolbar is visible, the time, internet connectivity, all the things that usually show up on the right hand side are absent.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Something has gone wrong here in a seemingly bad way. The (possibly) good news is that this might be limited to your own user account. Can you open System Preferences? If so, use that to create a new account and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, you can migrate over to that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also, even when the Toolbar is visible, the time, internet connectivity, all the things that usually show up on the right hand side are absent.

Is you Mac's window stuck in "full screen mode" perhaps?

If so, try pressing the keyboard esc key a few times.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you all.

Vansmith, you were right, it was only for that account. I have a new account set up now. Any suggestions on how I can retrieve my information to this new account?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take a look here for some tips on migrating to a new account.

OP
N
Reaction score
For that to work, I would need to use Finder, which is disabled, or won't work.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will it not open at all or simply not open from the Dock? If you try to use Spotlight (Command-Space), will it open from there?

OP
N
Reaction score
Spotlight isn't working either, as the top bar is completely missing. Unless, that is, an app is open, and then only the commands for that app are available. Time, date, Wifi, sound, internet connectivity are all gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.