Dell Monitor to MacBook Air

Reaction score
My MacBook does not see a new Dell Monitor? Tried rebooting, hit F7, nothing.
Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are specifications for your MacBook Air? Year and model? And what video inputs does your Dell monitor have?

OP
J
Reaction score
MacBook is exactly one year old, small screen, not retina display.
I have an adapter to go into the video port [on Mac that is an Apple product named: Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. This connects to another adapter [not Apple] that is a DVI-A to VGA Adapter.
The Mac does not see the monitor, at least it does not show it if I look at the display screen under the System Preverences, but the actual Mac display seems to react [blink?] when the monitor is connected or disconnected, but nothing on the monitor at any time.
Appreciate the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not use two adaptors nor is it recommended to use the VGA input on the Dell monitor. Just use one mini display port adapter from your MacBook Air to a DVI cable direct into the DVI video input on the Dell. You don't want to use VGA as that is analog. Using the DVI input gives you a clearer digital signal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.