• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Dell Computer impressions

I

Icarus

So my mom's Dell Laptop has this problem of being really sh!tty and slow, so I blamed Dell. So today I'm chatting with this guy online, and he hasn't really helped me yet...but he let me take a 20 minute break to help my sister with something...seems real nice. So maybe dell isn't as crappy as I first thought...or maybe they are.

OP
P

pedXing

Dude....he probably let you take the 20 minute break because the guys an f*cking 'tard and he has to go research the problem...LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Honestly, how hard is it to fix a PC? If you have to call tech support you're the tard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's not the Dell, it's the OS. I personally suggest SuSE Linux ;)

OP
M

Matt

How old is it, what OS, what are the specs and how often does she use it? If it's been that way only for a while, I would say its Spyware, or your mum puts too much stuff on it.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

If his Mom can't fix her computer then she probably won't be able to use SuSE (Though it is very easy). The is a version of Linux that is supposed to be like windows, i can't remember the name, let me google it ............ Linspire.... my friend had it and i found it too much like winblows. http://www.linspire.com/ . When i first started using linux I thought Red Hat (which is now Fedora) pretty easy to use.

OP
M

Matt

Well, if his mum is with Windows, chances are she likes it/doesn't care what OS she uses. By the looks of it (I looked at the screen shot section) Linspire would be easy to addapted to and use, if just a reinstall doesn't fix the problem. :)

OP
O

octohunter

My Dad runs a Dell. Two years ago when he needed support with a faulty modem the Dell rep actually laughed at him. In my opinion, everyone should be afforded the mistake of purchasing one Dell machine as they are lower priced. However, if one was to buy another they should just save the cash and make a sign for the entire world to see, reading "look at me, I don't get it!"

OP
M

Matt

My dads Dell might be very slow and old, (probably in the range of 1995-1997), he never has had any Hardware problems, admitedly its only used 1-3 times a week (the monitor has a few very minor problems, but hey, CRT's are only supposed to last 4 years or so, and this one says it was made in 1995 on the sticker on the back, also the keyboard can be doge sometimes). I am typing this on it right now :) I think Dell may have lost its "touch" now though. I would rather get a HP, or a Sony Vaio if I had to choose among PC's. Although I think I might give Dell a chance one day ;). There prices are very generous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The PC makers need to offer choices on OS for obvios reasons

OP
T

TylerMoney

Dells aren't bad. If you just need a computer to do everyday people needed computer stuff..you shouldn't go out and get the best of the best..and you aren't going to be able to fix every probably you come against. Well, you could..or should be able to figure out hardware problems, but I can't even fix many os problems....Dell is good for that..you can call the 24/7...and for people like my parents..that a great great thing..for people like me...I need to constantly change things on my pc..though I havne't in a long while..cause I don't have any money..and the next computer purchase I make will be new speakers..and a 1gig stick of ram for my pb.

OP
T

TylerMoney

I'm from Austin as well...where Dell was created. I've seen micheal dell's house...it's pretty impressive. That guy has done well for himself. Dells are at least better than compaq...though compaq is now hp..so they're pretty close. They're definenlty better than gateway though..and many other smaller guys...there are probably better ones out there..but they won't have the same help as Dell offers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Well, now with the lower prices on the eMacs, I'd reccommend spending the extra $200-$300 and get a Mac....It's well worth it, because in the long run, you'll pay more in tech-support for the PC(and more in headaches) than the difference in price between the Mac and PC.

Just my 2 hundreths of a dollar....:D

Also, I'd like to say:

I have 6 Dells........ALL 6 of them are currently in a non operational state.....Whether its the hardware of the software, the point is, they don't work....My Mac does ;) And honestly....I really don't view putting them in an operational state, because they're just gonna "windows" themselves again...

OP
I

iSheep

We've always bought Dells - they are pretty cheap and if you know what you're doing and they muck up, you can get parts replaced quickly. Dell CRT monitor still going after nearly 4 years. Apart from building your own, Dell would be my first stop to buy a new Windows PC. I've got a (cheap) Compaq laptop that really has problems, but that's because it seems to have the same processor as my pocket calculator, but I'd give them a second chance if I invested some cash.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

TylerMoney said:
I'm from Austin as well...where Dell was created. I've seen micheal dell's house...it's pretty impressive. That guy has done well for himself. Dells are at least better than compaq...though compaq is now hp..so they're pretty close. They're definenlty better than gateway though..and many other smaller guys...there are probably better ones out there..but they won't have the same help as Dell offers.

Thats Biased, no jk. But i beg to differ that Dells are better then gateways. If you have checked out gateways lately, you will notice they are coming out with some pretty nice stuff, include an all in one pizza box, that ...yes was copied from the mac, but still my neighbor has it and he had a problem with XP pro and called Gateway, it was fixed within 5 minuets. and the thing is pretty sleek too.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

iSheep said:
We've always bought Dells - they are pretty **** cheap and if you know what you're doing and they muck up, you can get parts replaced quickly. Dell CRT monitor still going after nearly 4 years. Apart from building your own, Dell would be my first stop to buy a new Windows PC. I've got a (cheap) crap Compaq laptop that really has problems, but that's because it seems to have the same processor as my pocket calculator, but I'd give them a second chance if I invested some cash.

They are pretty cheap, and you get a lot for your money. But i have tried 3 times to get a new hard drive for my work notebook, and everytime they send me the wrong model number, so i called one last time, screamed some nonsense in the phone, hung up, and went downstairs to my beautiful iMac.

OP
P

pedXing

LOL....once a LONNG time ago, i called Dell tech support and the guy later hung up on me because he didnt know the answer to to the problem!!! LOL it was great@!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I guess you get a pc with no OS unless you install Linux

OP
T

TylerMoney

anarkhy said:
Thats Biased, no jk. But i beg to differ that Dells are better then gateways. If you have checked out gateways lately, you will notice they are coming out with some pretty nice stuff, include an all in one pizza box, that ...yes was copied from the mac, but still my neighbor has it and he had a problem with XP pro and called Gateway, it was fixed within 5 minuets. and the thing is pretty sleek too.

I admit that it could look a bit biased..though I have a dell back it austin...and had one before the one we have now. So I've used them. And gateway will never be good to me, for I have used them, and they have hated me more thans dells, compaqs or hps. I don't mean this to sound like a jerk or anything...it's just my beliefs. I can't be from Austin and not be biased? I've used them...that's what I call experience.

OP
O

octohunter

I'm from Boston but I know the Red Sox are just never going to win.
Just foolin' with you. No insult.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.