Deleting files from a folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I have a folder with about 150 files on it (mostly word docs and some pdfs) , which is on a usb drive that I plug into my computer. When I open the folder and scroll down a little and delete a file, it moves me down to the bottom of the folder and I have to scroll up to find my place again. This has only happened since I got my new MBP retina - it didn't happen on my older MBP. Any idea how to stop this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro, 2007 iMac, 2007 Mac mini, iPad mini 2
What finder view are you using when this problem occurs?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Always open in icon view
Browse in icon view
Arrange by NONE
Sort by date added

I like to have the docs all laid out and not in separate coverflow mode based on date added and I also don't like when I delete a document and there's an empty space there and this config does this for me.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, it doens't looks like anything in that thread helped me and No, I'm not running a finder search or at least I don't think I am. I'm just clicking on the usb drive icon, going into the specific folder and deleting a file, then it jumps to the bottom

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I tried the method below and switched it to "All my files" and now it works. I'm not sure what else this changed, because It seems to be the same view, but it's working. Any idea what else this changed? And thank you for the help!

A possible workaround that's worked in my case:

In finder preferences I had switched the "New finder windows open:"
from Macintosh HD to "bla bla Mac Mini" (My system name or top level search tree). This then induced the problem of the highlighter jumping to the last folder on an extended listing. Switching back my preferences setting above gives a slightly different view but resolves the jumping issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Always open in icon view
Browse in icon view
Arrange by NONE
Sort by date added

I like to have the docs all laid out and not in separate coverflow mode based on date added and I also don't like when I delete a document and there's an empty space there and this config does this for me.

If you don't use Cover Flow, just turn it off.

You end up with an empty space because you have it set to 'None". The OS is doing what you told it to do. ;)

For other settings that don't work for you, change them to the opposite or something that you don't want, close the window and settings and than set your view options to the way you DO want and close the window and try again and see if it doesn't work better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro, 2007 iMac, 2007 Mac mini, iPad mini 2
I'm not sure what else changing this preference did beyond the behavior of new Finder windows, but I am happy it fixed your problem. Happy to help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm not sure what else changing this preference did beyond the behavior of new Finder windows, but I am happy it fixed your problem. Happy to help!

Changing a preference causes the OS to update its preference file in case it's gone goofy, hence my suggestion above to change them regardless or what the settings were - even if they seem to be correct.

And more than one preference file that can do similar settings could be goofy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.