Delays in obtaining iPhone 13 Pro Max?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Hi -

Finding it difficult to get my new iPhone 13 Pro Max. At first I thought it was because the new color was popular, but now I'm hearing stories here and there. Just wondering if this is the consensus?

Thanks and regards to all -

Rich

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Rich. Nice to see you back again.

I presume that you mean you pre-ordered your 13 max and no definite date is confirmed?

Or do you mean that you keep going to/contacting an Apple Store and they can't tell you when your 13 max will be in?

I have pre-ordered mine and I got a 7-day span when it will be delivered. It was about 4 weeks on from when I ordered it. Should be getting mine between 19-26 October - they say.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are long delays in getting just about anything from Apple. Or, for that matter other items not necessarily Apple devices.

Have you been watching the news lately? Los Angeles harbor is congested with cargo ships that are waiting to be off loaded.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Ian and chscag -

Thanks for responding! Yes, I pre-ordered it but haven't received a ship date yet. I didn't start noticing these delays until I started looking around and read about them. Chscag, I'm in NYC and don't really get the news about LA Harbor's backlog of cargo ships, lol. Is that what the delay is? Apple hasn't said a word, of course.

Cheers to you both -

Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm in NYC and don't really get the news about LA Harbor's backlog of cargo ships, lol. Is that what the delay is? Apple hasn't said a word, of course.

The delays involve all ports of entry into the US. I just now around 10 minutes ago saw the backlog of ships at the Georgia port of Savanna. The delays are everywhere.

You mean to tell me with all the Apple stores in NYC that not one of them had 13 Pro Max iPhones in stock where you could walk in and buy one?

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I committed to buying one from another source. Believe me, I'll survive. I'm curious about the delay because it's never happened before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Apple ships all the iPhone models on USP international planes. I do not believe any actual ships were involved. I pre-ordered my 13 Pro when ordering opened on Friday, 9/17 and got it the following Friday, 9/24. On Macrumors.com we were able to track our flights using the resources of some of the people on the tread one of which was a pilot who was helping us with flight numbers.

This is the site we use: Apple iPhone Tracker - FlightAware

Here is the whole very long thread that was started when the pre-ordering started: 📱🇺🇸(USA) (Apple.com) iPhone 13/Pro/Max/Mini US Pre-orders, Orders, and Delivery Status Thread (2021)🇺🇸🌎

I do know there is a shortage of the 13 Pro Max. This thread has a lot of information of others with the same problem: 📱🇺🇸(USA) (Apple.com) iPhone 13/Pro/Max/Mini US Pre-orders, Orders, and Delivery Status Thread (2021)🇺🇸🌎

Lisa

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple ships all the iPhone models on USP international planes. I do not believe any actual ships were involved. I pre-ordered my 13 Pro when ordering opened on Friday, 9/17 and got it the following Friday, 9/24. On Macrumors.com we were able to track our flights using the resources of some of the people on the tread one of which was a pilot who was helping us with flight numbers.

This is the site we use: Apple iPhone Tracker - FlightAware

Here is the whole very long thread that was started when the pre-ordering started: 📱🇺🇸(USA) (Apple.com) iPhone 13/Pro/Max/Mini US Pre-orders, Orders, and Delivery Status Thread (2021)🇺🇸🌎

I do know there is a shortage of the 13 Pro Max. This thread has a lot of information of others with the same problem: 📱🇺🇸(USA) (Apple.com) iPhone 13/Pro/Max/Mini US Pre-orders, Orders, and Delivery Status Thread (2021)🇺🇸🌎

Lisa
Hi Lisa -
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The delays involve all ports of entry into the US.

You can even include Canada amongst those countries as well, and even with air cargo, once the cargo is unloaded there is a shortage of truck drivers and delivery people. And it seems it is going to get worse before it gets better.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Truck drivers are a bit upset and a lot of those who transport stuff unloaded off the ships are on strike. Seems they don't want to be told they have to take the COVID vaccine. Or so I have heard.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Truck drivers are a bit upset and a lot of those who transport stuff unloaded off the ships are on strike. Seems they don't want to be told they have to take the COVID vaccine. Or so I have heard.

Not just truck drivers. It seems it also has affected the Southwest Airlines pilots association! Around 25% of their flights were cancelled and that's just the tip of the iceberg as less trained pilots are available to fly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not just truck drivers. It seems it also has affected the Southwest Airlines pilots association! Around 25% of their flights were cancelled and that's just the tip of the iceberg as less trained pilots are available to fly.

Yes, you are correct. I don't know how everyone feels about the vaccine but I personally believe it is a choice and should not affect a person's job. I find it highly insulting to tell a health care worker who weathered working during the COVID pandemic before we had a vaccine that if they don't get it they loose their job. Especially when they tell us vaccinated or unvaccinated, a person can still spread the virus. Well, I better get off my soap box now and finish by saying the availability of a whole lot of stuff is going to get worse, much worse.

And for the record, It was my choice when I decided to get the vaccine. I am not anti-vaccine just for choice.
(Sorry, I am off topic!)

Lisa

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The delays involve all ports of entry into the US. I just now around 10 minutes ago saw the backlog of ships at the Georgia port of Savannah. The delays are everywhere.

You mean to tell me with all the Apple stores in NYC that not one of them had 13 Pro Max iPhones in stock where you could walk in and buy one?
chscag, I surveyed ALL of the Apple Stores in NYC and NONE have the iPhone 13 Pro Max. You can of course, order one, but the delivery time for all stores is 6 to 8 weeks. Just an FYI. - Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the shortage is more wide spread than it first appears. When all the Apple stores in NYC do not have one in stock, that says a lot. :sd

Let us know when you get yours.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will do. Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just read that Apple is cutting its planned production by about 10 million due to a chip shortage, so if you don't have the iPhone already, it'll be harder to get especially going into the holiday season.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just read that Apple is cutting its planned production by about 10 million due to a chip shortage,

Wowzers... that is a lot of iPhones!!!

Some may start to show up on eBay... at a very exaggerated price!!! Maybe...

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They were planning around 90m it seems. And as an item that refreshes every year, I imagine people will just skip this version and jump to the next one as opposed to pay scalping prices on eBay like they did for the next-gen consoles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I imagine people will just skip this version and jump to the next one as opposed to pay scalping prices on eBay like they did for the next-gen consoles.

Maybe some of them should consider just using an old model like I do with my wife's old iPhone 4. Works fine for my use and the Canadian 7-Eleven speak out prepaid cell service. 😏
I started using them at the end of last year (2020) when they told me they could no longer support my old Samsung flip-phone.
I am currently modifying a bracket for the small iPhone 4 that I will use on my recently acquired mobility cart to run a speedomete/odometer app. Luckily it runs with iOS 7 that I got for my wife and her hiking/biking years ago and it is no longer available in the App Store.

But I have a feeling that most iPhone users won't want to go back quite that far and using old models!!! 😏

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With these smartphones people, essentially, fall into 2 categories. Those who absolutely need the latest model and as such will pre-order the phone when it's available to do so and turn their old phones in and those who upgrade when it's time to move on from their current phone for whatever reason.

So those who were willing to take a chance on the new device already dove in a long time ago. The others who are still on the fence, are unlikely to overspend on the device.

I definitely fall into the latter category having jumped from iPhone 3 -> iPhone 6S -> iPhone XS. Now I'm looking to upgrade to iPhone 13 Pro if it's available, if not, I'll get the iPhone 14 since my XS works totally fine.

However, I'm not an advocate on using "archaic" versions of the iPhone and never upgrading since technology changes in leaps and bounds and there's no reason to be stuck in the past.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.