Delay coming out of sleep mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
So I am in seeing something that I think may be getting worse. In the last week I have begun to see in MacBook Air mid 2013 running Mojave 1.3 GHz, Intel Core i5, a brief lag when coming out of sleep mode. It is random but I think maybe becoming more frequent. The hood is open and I touch a key and nothing. So I touch again and it may come on or need a 3rd time. So far the most I think I have had to do is touch any random key 3 times and it will then awake. It doesn't always do this but my question is what am I looking at or should be looking at that causes this problem? Right now it is not bad but I expect that I may be seeing a hardware issue (?) that will be getting worse.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depending on what was running when you closed the lid, those apps likely have to restart when you wake the machine up. That MBA is pretty slow in general, so that's just how it is. I'd only worry when it never wakes up. If the machine is fine when awake, then don't worry about it.

In comparison, my 2023 M2 MBA wakes up in a fraction of a second and is usable quickly, but then again not comparing the same machine other both having the MBA name.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depending on what was running when you closed the lid, those apps likely have to restart when you wake the machine up. That MBA is pretty slow in general, so that's just how it is. I'd only worry when it never wakes up. If the machine is fine when awake, then don't worry about it.

In comparison, my 2023 M2 MBA wakes up in a fraction of a second and is usable quickly, but then again not comparing the same machine other both having the MBA name.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a poor job of presenting my problem. 1. This only happens when my hood is open and I touch a key to wake the computer. 2. The computer sometimes does not respond at all. I said there was a brief lag. Well there isn't a lag at all. It just doesn't respond. Dead screen no response. Sometimes it wakes right up. So if it doesn't respond I'll touch the keypad again. Sometimes it works on the 2nd touch and sometimes the screen is still dead. Then I try one more time and it works. So far it hasn't gone more that 3 touches to wake up. But it seems to be getting worse as it started with just the 1st touch didn't wake up the computer and now sometimes it takes 2 or 3 touches to awake. Again it is intermittent. It happens occasionally. Many times it will awake on the first touch. I am having no trouble with it waking up when the hood is closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.