default port....

Reaction score
ok so i did something stupid in class today. Recently at my school they have been shutting down ports that are accesible on the school network and i wanted to be able to check my mail using apples mail program and send emails so i was trying differant ports to get it to work. well now that i am home i can't seem to get or send any emails. can someone tell me what the defult ports are in the program. thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
995 I Believe

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pop3=110
Smtp=25

IMAP=143 but it's rarely used by ISP's.

K

Kokopelli

pop3 (retrieve mail) is on 110
SMTP (send mail) is on 25
IMAP (less used way to retrieve mail) I can not remember

EDIT: too slow... ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
tried that and it didn't seem to work....this is what i changed
account settings > out going mail server > server settings > server port:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kutless217 said:
tried that and it didn't seem to work....this is what i changed
account settings > out going mail server > server settings > server port:

Your outgoing is the SMTP. Port 25. Unless your ISP is non standard like Gmail. What ISP are you using?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kutless217 said:
unfortunately still can't get it to work

Is your problem sending out email or receving new mail or both?

Do you have your account settings in Mail set correctly?

Did you change just the Outgoing mail port or the port under advanced settings for pop?

Just checked, They are using IMAP for their Incoming Mail according to their page and mail when I set up a .mac account. So the Incoming is 143 and the outgoing is 25.

OP
K
Reaction score
i just found out that is actually just my out going mail that is haveing a problem not my pop. and i did not touch my account settings at all other then the port

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kutless217 said:
i just found out that is actually just my out going mail that is haveing a problem not my pop. and i did not touch my account settings at all other then the port

Well with .mac they say it's port 25 for Outgoing (SMTP).

"The member name and password you use for SMTP authentication must match the member name and password in the User Name and Password fields."

OP
K
Reaction score
hmm 25 doesn't seem to be working crap....is there any easy way to reinstall mail to get back defaults on it?

OP
K
Reaction score
maybe if i tell you the error you guys might be able to help me better...this is exactly message i get when i try and send an e-mail

The connection to the server “smtp.mac.com” on port 25 timed out.

You can try to send using a different server. All messages will use this server until you quit or change your network settings.

none of the network settings at home have changed only at school so i can't figure out why this is not working

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should work. They say sometimes the .mac SMTP server on Port 25 times out and to use another port if it does. Will see if I can find it. It was in that URL I posted last night.

S

simgish

I can almost guarantee Cox is blocking you from connecting to port 25 on that remote server. You should give them a call and get their outgoing server name, which they'll probably require you to use.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a very large possibility. Some ISP's will only allow you to use their SMTP server for outgoing email. I am lucky with SBC and so far everything works. The reason I did not bring this up is I was under the impression that it worked at home before.

OP
K
Reaction score
it did work before but i changed the port number not knowing that it had to be a specific port because programs like aim and stuff like that work on so many differant ports (which i have had to change to get around the school network) and now i don't know what the original port was. in retrospect i should have written it down :-\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kutless217 said:
it did work before but i changed the port number not knowing that it had to be a specific port because programs like aim and stuff like that work on so many differant ports (which i have had to change to get around the school network) and now i don't know what the original port was. in retrospect i should have written it down :-\

Apple flat out states the SMTP port for .mac is 25. It's right on their site and mine is at 25 and works fine. They do say that sometimes 25 gets busy and to try a different port. It was in that URL I gave you in another message.

Please do not think I am trying to be hard on you. I am trying to help and mine works with .mac on 25 and that is what all their docs on setting up .mac say.

Found what I was looking for. Read and try this.

"Note: Some ISPs restrict access to the TCP port (25) used by SMTP. If your ISP is blocking port 25, you can use your email application to change the port to 587 and try again. If you continue to have trouble sending mail using smtp.mac.com, switch back to your ISP's SMTP server."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.