deceptive website warning

Reaction score
got a big red warning, researched and found that it to be false ....did a virus scan and found there had been 2 false html updates, eliminated them and am looking for a method to prevent in the future
thanks

ps
cory thanks for that last post

Reaction score
got a big red warning,

That sounds like Google's Safe Browsing software doing exactly what it is supposed to do: warn you away from dangerous Web sites. (Just about all Web browsers come with Google's Safe Browsing built-in these days.)

Inside Safari 3.2’s anti-phishing features | Macworld

Google Transparency Report

Report a Phishing Page

researched and found that it to be false ....

What did you find/read that told you that this warning was "false"? Why would any Web site give you a false warning to stay away?

did a virus scan and found there had been 2 false html updates, eliminated them and am looking for a method to prevent in the future

So let me see if I understand what you are saying. You ignored the warning, went to the Web site anyway, it downloaded possibly malicious software, and now you are asking how to avoid that happening in the future? Correct?

Assuming that I understand you correctly, the easiest thing to do would be to take it seriously when your browser tells you to entirely avoid a Web site.

Also, you should never download any sort of update, upgrade, extension, etc. from a Web site that you don't 100% trust, or which you aren't expecting it to offer. Especially offers of a "Flash" update or installation. If the download happens automatically, the software can't be installed on your Macintosh unless you launch it...don't.

That should be all that you need to do to avoid such things.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
thank you for the response, i didnt realize it was google.... but no, i wasnt worried about getting tagged with malware i was looking for a way to prevent a third party from blocking access...... as much as i can appreciate google looking out for such sites, a warning allowing people who read and understand to decide if they want to proceed rather than blocking site access would, in my opinion, be the correct approach, who gave them the mandate to interfere with internet choices good or bad......thanks for your post

Reaction score
thank you for the response, i didnt realize it was google.... but no, i wasnt worried about getting tagged with malware i was looking for a way to prevent a third party from blocking access...... as much as i can appreciate google looking out for such sites, a warning allowing people who read and understand to decide if they want to proceed rather than blocking site access would, in my opinion, be the correct approach, who gave them the mandate to interfere with internet choices good or bad......

Well, if you are using Safari, then Apple did. Apple apparently decided that Google's Safe Browsing was a boon to users and they included it with Safari and it is on by default. But not just Apple. You will find Google's Safe Browsing feature to be so well regarded that you will find it in just about every single browser you can find.

Usually when it gives you a warning it will give you a choice of disregarding the warning. I don't know why it occasionally does not.

But I would take the warnings seriously. I've never seen GSB give a totally false warning. And usually the sites that it warns about are seriously malicious, not just kinda a problem.

However, if you don't like the warnings...you can completely turn Google's Safe Browsing feature off. In Safari:

Safari menu --> Security tab --> Fraudulent Sites: Warn When Visiting A Fraudulent Site (uncheck to disable)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
thank you for the response, i didnt realize it was google.... but no, i wasnt worried about getting tagged with malware i was looking for a way to prevent a third party from blocking access

Did you even read the suggested Google site???:
Google Safe Browsing
Google Transparency Report

Google’s Safe Browsing service examines billions of URLs and software and content on those pages in its search for unsafe websites. Safe Browsing then warns users when they navigate to websites that could steal their personal information or install software designed to take over their computers. Every week, Safe Browsing protects billions of devices.

I am curious to know how you can know more then all the Google Software engineers and how you can know that such a flagged site is actually a false positive as far as you are concerned. That must be quite an uncanny ability and I am fascinated to know how you are able to do so.

I am guessing that the "big red warning" must be quite annoying to you if you visit many sites that would cause the warning.

Most interesting indeed...

- Patrick
======

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
Randy,
Have always taken the warnings seriously and glad they are there ...thanks for your input.

Patrick,
Innuendo ............really?
Indeed the interesting thing is that you missed the import of the post, it wasnt about knowing more... it was about being able to chose based on relevant information... "making informed decisions"...whatever the outcome of those decisions is irrelevant in this case, its having the option to make them......evidently google site restriction is not the norm as pointed out in Randy's post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Indeed the interesting thing is that you missed the import of the post, it wasnt about knowing more... it was about being able to chose based on relevant information...

OK, so now I guess you know that you can choose... Just choose one of the options to bypass the site warning if you want.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.