Deauthorize iMazing before moving to a different Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For those users who use a registered copy of iMazing.app and are going to be migrating to a different Mac and want to avoid a possible hassle, it is suggested to deauthorize your paid for copy of iMazing first if you are planning to use it on a different or newer Mac assuming it is a Registered version for use with a single Mac.

I was a bit surprised when I ran into this problem just recently and after I had cloned the original iMac to a newer model. When I opened iMazing it said I had to buy an updated license and my current serial number wouldn't work and I had to contact the developers for a solution.

--- snip ---
Now maybe it will post...??? Yup, finally...

PS: I had done a similar migration several years previously without deauthorizing, but never had a problem.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had done a similar migration several years previously without deauthorizing, but never had a problem.

Me too. I guess there was a change in the licensing of iMazing? I haven't used my registered copy for quite a while now since it's just as fast and easy to use the Finder to backup our iDevices.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Me too. I guess there was a change in the licensing of iMazing? I haven't used my registered copy for quite a while now since it's just as fast and easy to use the Finder to backup our iDevices.

I keep forgetting that the Recent Mac OS includes the option to do so, but Is it as complete and thorough as iMazing, like, does it back up everything, including all user data and ALL apps???

The Apple iTunes "backup" was sure lacking the ability to create a complete backup.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple backup with Finder does not include apps and unless you encrypt the backup does not include health and some other items. However, when you restore from an Apple backup you are told that your apps are downloading in the background.

I just recently did a restore to a new iPhone 11 that I purchased for my wife. Ran into a glitch because the new phone was not iOS up to date. Had to do that first and then the restore which took quite a bit of time. But it appears all her apps and social media were downloaded okay.

I believe it was Jake that mentioned a problem with iMazing in that it did not back up his apps? He contacted their support about it and was told that iMazing does not backup apps. I can't find that thread but maybe Jake can bring us up to date on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It was me, and iMazing does not back up apps, but downloads and reinstalls them on restore. I got rid of iMazing both because Finder does a good job now and because the backups were HUGE. I found iMazing taking almost 300GB of space for two backups, one of an iPad and another of an iPhone. Together the two devices don't have that much storage, but for some reason iMazing seemed to need that much space for one backup of each. So, it's gone.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was me, and iMazing does not back up apps, but downloads and reinstalls them on restore.

That's sure new and different news to me and in the way my iMazing works.

My wife has some third-party apps on her iDevices that are no longer available on Apple's App Store and never re-appear on her iDevices if she uses the older iTunes Backup to restore, but do if she uses the iMazing.app and restores from it's backup.

So those apps that are no longer in Apple's App Store had to be backed up and included In her iMazing.app Backup.

It has always been that way since we started using iMazing starting with version 1, And it's still the same now that we are using version 2.

So I have no idea what the differences are between ours and Nick's version.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. I also removed iMazing 2 a while back since it really wasn't doing anything for me that iTunes or the Finder method did not do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I also stopped using iMazing 2, about 2 months after I installed Catalina. I'm actually debating only using iCloud, and no longer backing up my devices to my Mac.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. I also removed iMazing 2 a while back since it really wasn't doing anything for me that iTunes or the Finder method did not do.

For others that might be interested in some of the advantages of iMazing and backing up apps, they could have a look and read here:

Download your apps
Download, Install & Back up your iOS Apps to Mac and PC | iMazing
and
Manage and Download Apps (.ipa) without iTunes
Manage and Download Apps (.ipa) without iTunes

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks for starting this post Patrick, I have come to much the same conclusion as others in this thread. iMazing is no longer as useful as it was to me originally but I have not uninstalled it. Emptying it's cache from preferences and deleting all of my old backups has trimmed it's storage requirements down to 273.3 MB from a previous 63.8 GB for two devices. I did used to prune my backups pretty regularly so I never got to anything like Jake's 300 GB.
That said, after my recent swap to a 2020 SE I found a restore from iCloud pretty effective. I still like to keep a local backup though due to travel so will keep it on board but limit it's storage. See; Manage your backups with iMazing

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually debating only using iCloud, and no longer backing up my devices to my Mac.

I was thinking the same thing until an iCloud backup of my wife's phone failed to recover. Good thing I also backed up to my iMac which worked.

Also, restoring from your Mac will be faster than iCloud. However, it's a good idea to have both backups which is what I do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.