Dead memory stick?

Reaction score
I have a 4Gb memory stick which has been fine until now. Now when I write a file to it I can't "see" it. The info on the stick says:
Format DOS (FAT32)
Capacity 4.13Gb
Available 3,87Gb

Running the disk utility verify I get the error message:
Live file system repair is not supported.
Any idea what has gone wrong and can I do anything to recover it?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try unmounting the drive after making sure it isn't being shared, quit all applications that might have been accessing it and then connect it to your Mac - but use a USB port on the Mac if you weren't doing so previously.

Just might fix the problem… ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Needs formatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as it is formatted for Windows. Be aware you will lose anything on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Needs formatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as it is formatted for Windows. Be aware you will lose anything on it.

Unless they are using the Format DOS (FAT32) formatted drive with both Mac and Windows computers. The Windows machine can't access any Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. ;P

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys - where does one format it as my Mac disk utility - Repair Disk can't do it, I get the same error message as when I tried to "Verify" it.

When I try the "raid" /format I get Couldn't carry out as can't unmount disk????

It will only be used with my Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you have data on that 4 GB flash drive that you need to extract, I suggest throwing it away and buy another. I have had numerous problems with inexpensive flash drives and have quit using them. It's actually best to keep them as they were formatted at the factory - usually FAT-32. As a matter of fact, I haven't run across any inexpensive flash drives that were not formatted to FAT-32. Once you start re-formatting them they can develop errors and quickly become useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to select the flash drive name itself, not the volume name, then select the Partition or Erase tab and then do whatever you want to do with that drive.

And doing so will erase ALL data, so save it first if it's needed!!!

OP
C
Reaction score
I've looked at this on my Windows computer and it is "write protected". This could be why I cannot save anything to it? I Went to re-format it but being write-protected it won't let me so how do I un write protect it please! Appreciate this is a Mac forum but maybe someone has some "Windows" knowledge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've looked at this on my Windows computer and it is "write protected". This could be why I cannot save anything to it? I Went to re-format it but being write-protected it won't let me so how do I un write protect it please! Appreciate this is a Mac forum but maybe someone has some "Windows" knowledge?

Some flash drives have a small switch on the back that sets it to write protected. Look for that. If no switch, and while in Windows, open the flash drive in File Explorer, right click and select "Properties". Check attributes. If it's read only, remove the read only attribute.

OP
C
Reaction score
Some flash drives have a small switch on the back that sets it to write protected. Look for that. If no switch, and while in Windows, open the flash drive in File Explorer, right click and select "Properties". Check attributes. If it's read only, remove the read only attribute.
Ah, that's what I was after! Having switched to Mac's a couple of years ago I have forgotten most of my Windows skills!
Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.