Dead iPod with a funny noise!!!.

F

Flaps45

OK guys I'm a little desperate here, I own a 3rd gen. 40gb Ipod. About a month ago I left it on my jacket's pocket at my brother's house, went on vacation and when I went back to pick it up and turned it on the iPod makes a really loud noise, similar to the one of a hard drive in distress, never heard my iPod sound like this before, on top of that, won't play or find any songs, sometimes I get lucky and after trying will eventually play one song and then when the song is over will keep skiping songs again while this funky sound keeps on coming out from the inside, sometimes will just give up and freeze on me. Two days ago after reading forums I decided to try and reset the settings from factory and format the thing using the iPod updater but when is about 50% done stops and then a message saying "Unable to write on media" appears. My warranty is expired and never had any problemns with my iPod before. I suspect that the hard drive is toasted, do you guys agree????. If this is the case any word on where to buy a replacement hard drive?.
Thanks a lot for all the help and input you guys can provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Yeah, that definetly sounds like a toasted hard drive...not fun..

Hrm..Warranty expired...I guess you can call up Apple and hear your options...
This is most likely what they will tell you:

1. Send it to us, and we'll tell you how much it will be.
2. Get a new one

Unless it is a last resort, I wouldn't suggest ripping it open and doing it yourself...and still only if you know what you are doing.

OP
F

Flaps45

Thnaks for the help AppleJustWorks . I indeed opened it and removed the hard drive to test it and yes is gone, the noise is coming out of the drive and I don't think there's a way to get it going, now if I send the iPod to Apple they are going to charge me a fortune, now that I have the HDD out I guess I'm better off replacing it myself, using the serial number I manage to find a few of these available on e-bay for around 140$, my concern is if the drive is the same?...This is a Toshiba drive so the one on ebay, the part number also match up, there's no difference in the way both look, at least from the picture they posted on ebay, I hope they are the same, the should be but I think I better email them before I buy it and ask them, any other places to buy this particular hard drive that you guys know of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Flaps45 said:
Thnaks for the help AppleJustWorks . I indeed opened it and removed the hard drive to test it and yes is gone, the noise is coming out of the drive and I don't think there's a way to get it going, now if I send the iPod to Apple they are going to charge me a fortune, now that I have the HDD out I guess I'm better off replacing it myself, using the serial number I manage to find a few of these available on e-bay for around 140$, my concern is if the drive is the same?...This is a Toshiba drive so the one on ebay, the part number also match up, there's no difference in the way both look, at least from the picture they posted on ebay, I hope they are the same, the should be but I think I better email them before I buy it and ask them, any other places to buy this particular hard drive that you guys know of?

Sounds good to me...The best to choice would be to get a new hard drive retail. However, if this is not possible, verify with the seller if it will work with the iPod. Make sure it is the right size hard drive, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.